Best Chainsaw to buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for an 18 inch saw, to be used for light work around the house and maybe cut a rick of wood a summer.

Want something that starts easy and will last until I die. (Meaning not a craftsman).

Also, best place to buy?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for an 18 inch saw, to be used for light work around the house and maybe cut a rick of wood a summer.

Want something that starts easy and will last until I die. (Meaning not a craftsman).

Also, best place to buy?
If you are set on an 18" bar, get one with enough motor to run that chain and not bog down. This is a great price on this one.
https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?221484-Stihl-MS280C-EQ-18-quot-Chainsaw
A lot better than Craftsman, Poulan and other box store models.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stihl is the only brand you need to look at. I have an ms250 with an 18" bar and it is a handy limbing rig but for anything more than that I reach for a bigger saw. If I was to have only 1 it would be a ms361 with a 20" bar.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only experience I've had with chainsaws was the ones we used in the FD. They were Stihl 044. We used them to cut through roofs, floors, walls, and sometimes trees.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a Stihl guy, everything I have from them is rock solid, and I bought with the same perspective of having it until I die...

That said I haven't bought a Stihl chain saw yet. I do have an Echo, bought it from a guy in the neighborhood that used it once, $350 saw for $100, it was almost brand new. I've put it through hell, ice storm of 2007 I ran the snot out of it, and even thought I had killed it when I accidentally used straight gas instead of pre-mix. Noticed the lack of power, and the excessive heat eventually and drained the fuel and added mixed fuel. Really thought I toasted the top end. The saw runs fine, and starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull still, won't die, so I can't buy a Stihl until it does. I suspect it living through my stupidity is more of a testament to the 2 stroke oil I use, but still, a cheap saw would have grenaded, IMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom