Best Chainsaw to buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I like Stihl, but they make it such a PITA to buy and own one. Can't buy one online. Can't get a parts list. At least not legitimately. Each dealers basically makes up their own price. They can get away with that business model because they make such damn good equipment.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only heard good things about the Stihl as well, but I couldnt pass this up:

EM-68JIYsDeqqtHsniqklMm-GqFouxZZMR8p_4mQafo8bv7gbDzprAquBWfIs2Limf1bddzGq6Q7AENEN465JLFuVDmhhj_qDAnZWfBqA2zyFsT35z9BiGEKuHqa5uI1v0I_H6h2GSm1fYKTzmZlZoiQgRaEOmSVRl83AoLz64vnM0BS9qUX3ozckIAGv9_B7RtmnhNuExUFx3c5XzUGk1AnSQWpn2kTrYn6RNHIIZvRxAkYt25prKRPflAKMwsoot8wiFNEmmAE-viMADOjqSKV5H4a0tbGYKirHdfGtlUzwYlv2g8clIhy2sAPMICD0bBJ0AbdL3KQZfIeRAQoi3knAu1aEtoViBldiu8nQX-ghiz_zwwqpmTi-rCqe_d_a1cM86jJwxPxrCN74YC-RglB3JOkPGHCccehb_L-UDHNq0MTP9NYVfyHEsjJcG-63IPDI3TwhdxTl8u_Yeep7En80wuzx4ECeYXAFiOBnsBt6JGCao1KqKaPPP1quuXWmojJ3E4ssyoAZgtC09cYqa8loRpLds5d8ckj3YwWBR0=w1197-h894-no

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a large Craftsman (25-30?) years ago when they still made then right.
My dad has a Craftsman that he's had for over 30 years, and it has cut a heck of a lot of firewood. He said it was OEM'd for Sears by one of the big boys (maybe Echo?), and it has been a damn good saw.

Unfortunately, Craftsman tools today aren't what they were even 15 years ago, so I wouldn't count on their chainsaws holding up like that any more.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought mine from P&K in Owasso but can't recommend anyone in your area.
P&K has stores all over the state; I've been in their John Deere dealership in Norman a few times, but I don't remember if they carried Stihls there. Atwoods carries both Stihl and Husqvarna, at least in their Norman store, if you want to do some direct comparisons.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a husqvarna that has been great. I forget the model, but it has an 18" bar. Haven't had any power issues with it. It is a good weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think once you decide on a price range if it matters then you can decide on what brand or saw. If you want a lifetime purchase saw, are you willing to spend over $600? If so then get a Stihl pro saw, maybe the MS-261 or MS-362, you can go bigger and spend more money if you want or can go cheaper too but the quality of saw follows the price. Type of wood and size of tree should factor into the model and engine size, even chain types, especially if cutting larger than 24" hardwood trees.

I would consider buying from a place you can get service, parts and warranty work, a lot of stores don't offer these services but most of them don't sell professional saws either, they sell the cheaper brands and/or models.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I were looking for a saw, I'd get on eBay and buy a nice Stihl 041AV, AVEQ, or an 041 super. They are a bit heavy and they only last like 3 or 4 decades, I have several. If you want something a little smaller a 028 wood boss is another option.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a Stihl fan. Like their weed eaters and leaf blowers but I prefer husquvarna or echo chain saws. You said you wanted one that starts easy and every Stihl I've ever been around was a royal pain to get started and keep running. The ranch us a farm boss and when I need a chainsaw I reach for my personal echo super easy to start and runs like a top. Plenty of power and has cut lots of firewood and is excellent to use for trimming and clearing brush .

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the 20" Husky 455 rancher 55.5CC that is a beast. Keep a sharp blade on it, and you can't stall the engine. Its a PITA to start like every other husky I've been around though. Fixed that by drilling a 1/4" hole above the air filter, so some starting fluid can be shot in there. Three or so pulls later, it fires up and runs/starts fine the rest of the day.
Use it on big trunks, etc.

When limbing or trimming, the $129 Poulan Wild Thang that is real light weight with a 16" bar gets used.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the 20" Husky 455 rancher 55.5CC that is a beast. Keep a sharp blade on it, and you can't stall the engine. Its a PITA to start like every other husky I've been around though. Fixed that by drilling a 1/4" hole above the air filter, so some starting fluid can be shot in there. Three or so pulls later, it fires up and runs/starts fine the rest of the day.
Use it on big trunks, etc.

When limbing or trimming, the $129 Poulan Wild Thang that is real light weight with a 16" bar gets used.

The PIA to start must be an added feature of Husky. I had a CR390 Husky motocross bike that was the same damn way. The thing ran like a raped ape when it fired though!

I'm looking at picking up a saw for an Alaskan mill. Probably go with Stihl.

Latest posts

Top Bottom