Best Flashlight for the Money

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHArms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need a general purpose flashlight with high lumen rating, battery operated, and decent price. I'm talking a good next to the chair or in the truck flashlight. Amazon and Google both are getting to be a nightmare for faked reviews and sponsored sites.

Imalent. I'm a flashlight nerd, and at the last shot show I went to every light dealer there. Imalent stands out as the best, and I bought several of them. I like the DM12C. I have a MS18 in stock too. Youtube that dude. I have the the Surefire Scout and all the streamlights. Imalent.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tru dat. Since then, I've just never trusted rechargeable batts. The ugly truth of it is when they go dead, they're dead. Unless you carry some spare batts with you, it could turn out bad.
But the /surefire lamps were fragile as hell and would kill themselves if you dropped them. I figured I have paid $18 per lamp over 20 years. lessee, uhh carry the two, uhh $450.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the Fenix and Olight, but if something goes wrong them, it’s hard to get them fixed. I have an Olight that took three months turnaround for repairs. When I asked about it they said they had to send it back to China to get it fixed.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a light nut for years. The Best = Surefire and no one is close. Streamlight is a far second. Fenix has done well to develop their brand over the years and has some nifty stuff. If you want the best built American made badass torch. Spend the money once on a Surefire. Only problem is you will want more after you get one. Lumen ratings are all over the place so don't believe a lot of this chinese made craps claims. A 300 lumen Surefire will outshine most lights rated at 500 lumens and have a nice pure white light. Lots of stuff goes into making a quality light. Also their service is A+

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amazon and Google both are getting to be a nightmare for faked reviews and sponsored sites.
Dunno about the Googles, but https://www.fakespot.com/ will help you with determining how trustworthy the Amazon reviews are.

For the question at hand, I've gotten a lot of bang for my buck out of Streamlight flashlights. I almost always have a Streamlight Stylus Pro penlight on my person, and I keep a ProTac in my traveling bag. Surefire lights are pretty good, but they sure are spendy; I'm not sure my Surefire is any better than my Streamlights, let alone twice as good.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm cheap. But, like yourself, I only need one on occasion, so I don't care to spend a lot of cash for a flashlight. Some years ago, I wandered into either Home Depot or Lowes and saw a package with two Duracell flashlights. Since I needed two, I bought them. Later on, I needed a belt case to be able to carry one on the job I was doing, and found a fairly cheap belt holder that the flashlight fit into at Home Depot. The only markings on the flashlight is the name Duracell on the wide portion at the light end and "250" on the other end. On the very end by the push button is the number "1627."

The lights take three AAA batteries. Probably for lights and batteries, I'm out less than $25 for the initial purchase.

Now, that all said, if I were likely to be in a situation where I was going to have to be out and around in the dark for extended periods of time (say for hunting a fugitive,) then I'd probably spring for one of the better lights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom