Best group I have ever shot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their comments. All it proves is that the rifle is capable of way more than I am. I shot 6 different loads 5 shots each yesterday. This is the group I am most proud of. I am going to go load another 150 rounds of this and shoot the crap out of it this weekend. Any pointers are appreciated.

Moboost I think I have a can of 4064 I will load some up and try it. Is Varget known for creating flyers? I know it has a good reputation for temperture stability that is why I usally load with it. It sucks to meter though. I weigh every charge on a electronic scale. I am pretty sure it is more so my fault than the load. Not making excuses I just got lucky on that group.

DG your always so angry. You need to do some yoga or something, find your center bro.

Varget is a good powder - and works (for me) with 175 and 155 gn bullets, but for some reason not with 168. Well, I mean, it works but RL15 and 4064 produce significantly better groups.
You don't need to shoot a bunch of rounds of the same load to see if it works - just honestly call your flyers and look for patterns; you want to find bullet/load that does straight line string (horizontal or diagonal) - then adjust the charge to tighten it up.

I wouldn't call 308win inherently accurate - BR case put that bar pretty freaking high. 308win needs quite a bit of work to be sub-MOA.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
H&R M12 22 rimfire with Eley Bench Rest Gold ammo

I have one of these rifles. It's a great shooter, but it almost requires a dolly to get it from the car to the firing line!

You rimfire guys are nuts - $.40 a round ?

I have to agree, some of the .22 ammo prices make me go :shocked: I'm not methodical or patient enough to warrant spending that kind of dough.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i1233.photobucket.com_albums_ff398_CalamityJake_scan0003.jpg

10 Shots 100 yards.

Score 96? Maybe my bad eyes but I would call it a 98.. :)

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No wind. It was dead calm. Shooting prone off a bi-pod and rear bag. What would be a cause other than wind or me just jerking the trigger. Not to say that I wasn't but just wondering what is the normal casue of horizontal stringing. There was about 30 to 40 seconds between shots.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say trigger control. Be mindful of where you put your finger on the trigger and do it the same every time.

Could be a spot touching the barrel on the stock or it may just not like the powder. I'd try a couple different powders and see what it does then.

But being horizontal, I'd probably bet it was shooter induced.

Latest posts

Top Bottom