Best group I have ever shot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't call 308win inherently accurate - BR case put that bar pretty freaking high. 308win needs quite a bit of work to be sub-MOA.

We'll have to disagree on this then. Of course the 308 cannot compete with a BR cartridge but we aren't talking about that either. The 308 is already well sorted out in terms of accurate loads and is not finicky with powder or primer selection. It is certainly not the ultimate paper puncher round, but its not hard to get great accuracy from either.

Don't take my word for it...straight out of the Sierra 5th edition reloading manual, "The 308 is an extremely easy cartridge to reload. Like the 222 Remington and 6mm PPC, the 308 is an extremely accurate cartridge. It is probably the most inherently accurate 30 caliber commercial cartridge ever produced."

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Touche!

P.S. For the sake of argument:

Note, however, that it says "inherently accurate 30 caliber commercial cartridge".
The real problem is that with modern powders and bullets - 30 is a piss poor caliber choice. And honestly between 30 caliber rimmed "black powder" and Magnums - 308win seems to be a very logical choice.

For me to be called "inhrently accurate" - cartridge must push .500BC bullet at 2900fps; 308win might do it at extreme pressures - but basically the boiler is not big enough.
30-284 would - but recoil becomes and issue even with 17lb guns.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Touche!

P.S. For the sake of argument:

Note, however, that it says "inherently accurate 30 caliber commercial cartridge".
The real problem is that with modern powders and bullets - 30 is a piss poor caliber choice. And honestly between 30 caliber rimmed "black powder" and Magnums - 308win seems to be a very logical choice.

For me to be called "inhrently accurate" - cartridge must push .500BC bullet at 2900fps; 308win might do it at extreme pressures - but basically the boiler is not big enough.
30-284 would - but recoil becomes and issue even with 17lb guns.

Thats why I had GAP build me a rifle in 260 Remington! The rifle itself is dead accurate but the cartridge is much much more finicky than a 308. I am still in load development but I can push a 142 SMK to 2990 with no problems. My only problem is controlling ES and SD right now. With the 308 I have multiple loads with an SD of 5. The best I have been able to do with the 260 is 12. Recoil...well recoil is like cheating. I seriously think an AK kicks harder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom