Best reloading manual?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Manuals from Sierra (3 different editions), Nosler (2 editions), Speer (2 editions) all sit on my RL bench. This nice thing about the Nosler and Sierra manuals is that they list the most accurate loads and/or podwers. But in addition to a manual, you really should look at a solid chronograph. Published velocity vs actual can be quite different.

HiPower

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think there is any one manual that is "best", each one has something in it that the others don't. When you get one (I started with the Speer book many years ago), ignore the data section until you have thoroughly read and digested the "how to" section. If you have any thoughts on getting into bullet casting, the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is a must have.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like several have already said it.
But the Richard Lee book is in my opinion one of the best for a newbie.
It's written in a easy to following form, plus not to nerdie.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the best books for a general overview of reloading without getting into the data tables is the NRA's
Guide to Reloading.
http://materials.nrahq.org/go/product.aspx?productid=EF 13527

Once you grasp the fundamentals, then you can understand "best powder for my load" and all the gritty details.
For selecting specific loads, I always like to have both a manual from the powder manufacturer and one from the bullets manufacturer.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the Lee book as they don't sell powder, primers, or bullets just losts of good info. A good chrony is a big plus! I used to not think so but dude since I got one I'll just say it's a good thing to have. Another thing but this will be later in your loading would be the software Quickload, I load for some off the wall what some would say crazy stuff and while I don't own the software (I will soon) I have some folks I can get with for help.

The folks here are pretty helpful and if you have a buddy you can hang out with that loads it's a help. Good luck and any questions just ask! Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom