Big Cats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yes, I get them on camera almost everytime I check the camera cards. This was an unusual one a few years ago. Think we were making kittens.

kittens.JPG

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up in Pittsburg Co, running wild through the hills my entire childhood, but never saw one until I was about 25. It was the day after Christmas and my nephew and I took a walk down the creek behind my parent’s place. We were just walking and talking when he pointed up on a bluff and said, “there’s someone’s coon dog.” Then it stood up, stretched and bowed its back up, sat down on it’s haunches and just looked down at us. We were no more than 50 yds away. We just stared for several minutes and it started to walk away into the trees, paused for a second to turn and look back at us, then strolled off into the woods.

Never saw it again but we knew it was around because a couple times a year, Dad‘s cows would go crazy and run madly around the place for a couple days. One late spring, he had a calf go missing. About 120-150 pound calf, so not a newborn. Never could find it anywhere so thought someone might have stolen it. That fall, after the leaves fell, he found the skeleton hanging in the fork of a tree about 8-10 ft off the ground. Figured it had to have been that mountain lion.

Other than that one, I’ve never seen another.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drove threw Wichita Refuge East to West . Went North to first black top road headed East. Was enjoying the view there was a large rock on the South side of the road right beside the road. A cougar was setting on its haunches . Watched my wife & I drive by. Showed this to wife she said " made eye contact with me as we drove by.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I get them on camera almost everytime I check the camera cards. This was an unusual one a few years ago. Think we were making kittens.

View attachment 332698
Speaking of bobcat babies, a few years ago my Lab and I were scouting for deer season in September here in east TX, and she disappeared. I finally found her, and she had found a den of bobcat kittens. They were the cutest things I think I’ve ever seen in the woods. I was concerned that the mama might come back, so I called her off and headed back to the 4 wheeler a few hundred yards away. On the way back, my Lab kept looking out into the brush, and I finally saw what she was looking at. The mama cat (I figure) was paralleling us as we walked out. I stepped up the pace, and we got out of there quick. It was a cool but kind of scary experience.

LittleLoggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I watched a National Geographic Documentary once on the big cats in Oklahoma. One thing that stuck out was that many of the cats seen were black and not brown. I think I saw a cougar a few months ago while returning from Fairfax. My friend was driving and said,View attachment 332668 "Look at that". What he first thought was a coyote we both agreed wasn't a coyote. It was too long, too big for a coyote, and it had too long a tail. It didn't look canine at all. I remember the one Dennis mentioned getting hit by the trail near Marlin. The article I've included happened around 30 years ago.

I know it was 30 years ago. But this is not far at all from where I hunt right off Arkansas river, I’m sure they used this river to travel. I have also heard something scream once. Sounded like something off Jurassic park and really didn’t think much about it when it happened. Just thought. hmm, that’s different. Lol

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got one back behind my place. I haven't seen him, but I hear him "scream" from time to time.

Do y'all know the difference between a big cat and a little cat?

A big cat can kill you, but a little pussy never hurts. :rollingla
Are we still talking about big cats?

MikePAC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember the news article 10 yrs ago with State trooper holding dead one after car collision killed it near Minco. Over 200lbs.
My son and friend showed me partially eaten cow hind quarter. I couldn’t find until he pointed up. 10-11 ft up in fork of tree. South of Sasakwa near South Canadian River. Guy I bought land from called me one day to report seeing, “ all black long tailed cat” crossing road onto my property at 0500 while checking pumps.
I’ve had 4-5 cameras up since 2007. Some all yr. Never caught a glimpse. Rare bobcat sightings.
I took care of a guy from Stratford who saw a mother with different litters of kittens on his place for yrs.

Wildlife Dept harvested one near Skelton Creek north of Guthrie 10 + yrs ago. Little girl was playing in driveway, it was perched in tree above her.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom