Big Cats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlingle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve seen lots of bobcats. Shot them, trapped them, had them on camera, etc. I’ve spent countless days in the outdoors and I’ve never personally seen a mountain lion. I have several friends and relatives who have seen them, but i never have. Heck, I was driving one day my wife, and she saw one just south of the red river on hwy 283, i whipped the car around and went back and it was gone. I have seen one set of tracks that I feel completely certain was a set of mountain lion tracks, just north of Altus Air Force base about 20 years ago.

I would love to see a mountain lion in the wild some day. It almost seems like I’m the only one that hasn’t 🤣

easy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Face to face about four years ago while out changing camera cards walked right by one laying in the curved bank of a dry creek. First thought was' oh sh*t'! Looked like a yearling. Looked around for momma, no find, kept moving. Looked back from camera and cat scrgowld and lit out some other direction. Reported to GW and was told I did not see a mountain lion (BS). About a week later some one in town posted on local FB page about dog bitten by cougar, with pics of bite marks way to wide for any bobcat. Later found food tree and lots of feathers and claw marks on tree where cat climbed up. Marks are still there a couple weeks ago. Haskell Co., McCurtain Twsp.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I caught a cougar on one of my trailcam videos 6/4/21 on my property in Okfuskee county. It's not a real good video, IR at night. You can see it's rear haunches and that long dark tipped tail walking into the brush. No Doubt.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the screenshot taken from the video. If you want to see the video here's the address where I put it up on youtube. For size. That branch he is under is about 4' above the ground. It's only visible the first 2 seconds of the video. Best watched on a full screen computer (pausing and moving back and forth). the curvature, length and black tip of the tail what convinced me. As well as the gait as it disappears into the brush.
cougar.jpg

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the screenshot taken from the video. If you want to see the video here's the address where I put it up on youtube. For size. That branch he is under is about 4' above the ground. It's only visible the first 2 seconds of the video. Best watched on a full screen computer (pausing and moving back and forth). the curvature, length and black tip of the tail what convinced me. As well as the gait as it disappears into the brush.
View attachment 333274

I can’t see him in the pic, but the video is pretty clear. That’s a lion, not a bob.

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm, interesting.

My guess is that once it was hit and killed by the car that the person tried to take the cat and that is the illegal harvest. I saw stunning red fox get hit on Hwy 3 real early in the morning. I grabbed it and took it back home and put it in my freezer. I called someone that had once worked for the ODWC to see if I could get some kind of tag, so I could have it tanned and the person said "No. That's illegally harvested. Get rid of it quickly." I followed the advice but always thought it would be a cool as a tanned hide and to hang on the wall.

Nate08chevy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, the pic is just to let you know where to look. If you don't look at the right spot when the video starts you'll miss it.
Confirms what I “thought” I saw about 10 years ago. Long tail with a black end and white belly. Looks like a cat, walks like a cat… must be a cat, but as big as a large dog. Grass was just as tall as the cats back and was not quite waist high to me. I still get chills thinking about it. Spike buck 100 yards + from me suddenly started acting goofy and laid down FLAT in the grass like he was hiding. Shortly after through a scope 200+ yards away saw the cat walk over a hill away from me. Only saw it for a few seconds but once it was out of sight the buck suddenly shot up and hauled butt the opposite direction of the cat which was straight at me and it ran next to my stand. I can see it in my mind like it was yesterday. This was NW Garfield County 2010 ish

Latest posts

Top Bottom