Biggest reason YOU sell a gun???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggest reason YOU decide to sell a particular gun??? (non-dealers)

• Need the money (otherwise would keep)

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • Out of room in the gun safe (safe sets my limits)

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Tried it and just didn't like it or shoot it well

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • Wanted to upgrade to something new or different

Votes: 45 36.9%
  • OCD-related (e.g. can't stand to own more than you need; you have rules you follow)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Can't take it with you (no heirs or just letting go as you get older)

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • No longer needed for specific purpose (e.g. no longer turkey hunting, etc.)

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other reason (elaborate below)

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I won't sell my guns for any reason

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know there can be more than one reason, but pick the most likely reason.

Feel free to rank the reasons in your reply if you like though if you have more than one that drives you to sell.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I almost always sell guns in order to buy other guns. On rare occasions I'll sell something because I just don't like it as much as I thought I would.
Do you find that (selling first, then buying the other) keeps you from spending too much on guns in total?

If I get something new to replace something else, I have trouble selling the old LOL. But at least that way, you can make sure you are happy wiht the new first if you do it in that order.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tried and didn't like it. Because they were not accurate enough.

I did sell 1 very accurate .308 Savage heavy barrel with accutrigger.
Started out as a 24" and I shortened it to 20.5 and accuracy came way up.

A guy I met at the range just had to have it I sold it for 600 without scope.
Same day I went and got another savage .308 but this one was threaded (not needed)
and had an even shorter barrel 18". It is even more accurate
LOVE IT.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whenever I find something new I want if I don’t have extra cash (is there such a thing as extra cash?) I look through what I own but don’t use to find a way to generate the revenue to make the next purchase.
Do you think it through and do the "what if" scenarios before you sell soemthing you don't use? I do see folks who sold guns then later looking to buy the same thing again LOL.

I stupidly traded off my original 10/22 when I was young, only to regret it later in life and buy another. Funny thing is I then sold the shotgun I traded for (after having it for 20+yrs) to an uncle who has since passed away. But I replaced it too with something new and less rare, but I would have rather had from a practicality standpoint. But I do think about that old gun sometimes knowing it is somewhere in my aunt's closet and my cousins who know nothing about guns will get it someday. I made a deal with my uncle that if I ever wanted to buy it back i could and I reminded my cousins of that after he passed but I don't think I will ever invoke that because I can't take it with me either LOL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom