Biggest reason YOU sell a gun???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggest reason YOU decide to sell a particular gun??? (non-dealers)

• Need the money (otherwise would keep)

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • Out of room in the gun safe (safe sets my limits)

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Tried it and just didn't like it or shoot it well

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • Wanted to upgrade to something new or different

Votes: 45 36.9%
  • OCD-related (e.g. can't stand to own more than you need; you have rules you follow)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Can't take it with you (no heirs or just letting go as you get older)

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • No longer needed for specific purpose (e.g. no longer turkey hunting, etc.)

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other reason (elaborate below)

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I won't sell my guns for any reason

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you think it through and do the "what if" scenarios before you sell soemthing you don't use? I do see folks who sold guns then later looking to buy the same thing again LOL.

I stupidly traded off my original 10/22 when I was young, only to regret it later in life and buy another. Funny thing is I then sold the shotgun I traded for (after having it for 20+yrs) to an uncle who has since passed away. But I replaced it too with something new and less rare, but I would have rather had from a practicality standpoint. But I do think about that old gun sometimes knowing it is somewhere in my aunt's closet and my cousins who know nothing about guns will get it someday. I made a deal with my uncle that if I ever wanted to buy it back i could and I reminded my cousins of that after he passed but I don't think I will ever invoke that because I can't take it with me either LOL.
I would say I don’t get to a what if thought. I look at it like if I haven’t shot it in a few months or I don’t have a cool memory with it then it is forgettable. However, if I sell something and then later decide I want it again then I will buy one. If I can’t find one then I screwed up selling it the first time and I will learn from that lesson. For instance I have an old Mauser action 30-06 that was my grandfather’s when I killed my first deer with it, I haven’t shot it since I inherited it 10 years ago but it’s not for sale at any price. Yes I can replace a 30-06 and probably the same rifle model but not this one. Therefore it’s not one that I even consider selling to buy another gun. I’ve got a 3 screw ruger 44 that would be slightly difficult/expensive to replace if I ever regretted selling it so it doesn’t get considered. Pretty much when I decide I want a new gun it goes like this after I decide I don’t want to spend money from hip national bank…..
1) what do I have that I don’t shoot/use much?
2) is there sentimental value
3) how likely am I to need it in the future?
4)does it have near the value I need for the new purchase?

Once I go through those four things then I make the decision. I don’t worry with regretting it because evidently it passed my 4 thoughts above. Life is too short worry ourselves with regret. I believe in setting some standards and then just trying to be happy and learn from your mistakes. I don’t believe in regret. Just learn and do better next time if you fail yourself. After all I believe regret to be a selfish thought. I may not have made a damn lick of sense with that rambling. Lol

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Do you find that (selling first, then buying the other) keeps you from spending too much on guns in total?

If I get something new to replace something else, I have trouble selling the old LOL. But at least that way, you can make sure you are happy wiht the new first if you do it in that order.

🤣 🤣 🤣
Oh, wait... Was that a serious question?

Do you think it through and do the "what if" scenarios before you sell soemthing you don't use? I do see folks who sold guns then later looking to buy the same thing again LOL.

I stupidly traded off my original 10/22 when I was young, only to regret it later in life and buy another. Funny thing is I then sold the shotgun I traded for (after having it for 20+yrs) to an uncle who has since passed away. But I replaced it too with something new and less rare, but I would have rather had from a practicality standpoint. But I do think about that old gun sometimes knowing it is somewhere in my aunt's closet and my cousins who know nothing about guns will get it someday. I made a deal with my uncle that if I ever wanted to buy it back i could and I reminded my cousins of that after he passed but I don't think I will ever invoke that because I can't take it with me either LOL.

Oh, yeah... I've been down that road plenty. But, to be fair, sometimes I go thru a phase where I start liquidating all sorts of stuff and then just start over. I'm well into the "start over" phase right now. I probably sold $20,000 worth of guns and other gun stuff in 2020/2021 getting ready to buy our place.

Sometimes I just do stupid s**t... I don't like AKs. I don't care if anyone else likes them they're just not for me. But my mind keeps telling me I'm not a real gun guy if I don't have an AK. I can't remember how many times I've bought really nice AKs only to find out what I already know...I don't like them no matter how much I want to. I'm the same way with M1A rifles. I know I should really covet one but I don't. I've had several and I've sold everyone I had...same as AKs. I do have a PSA AK-V now that I love. So I feel like I've partially redeemed myself.

And I have a long list of guns I wish I'd never sold going back to the early 90s. There was some really nice stuff I let go of. I try not to think about it much...because once the tears start they're hard to stop.

:cry11:

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tried it and didn't like it/want to upgrade go hand-in-hand. I only remember a couple of firearms I owned that I just didn't like at all. I have some that I won't let go of for any reason. The rest are open to sell/trade if I see something I really like.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure I fit any of the above poll options.

I'm 76 years old and have only gotten rid of three weapons in all that time. One was to trade in a Browning .22 semi-automatic for a 22 Magnum bolt action because the semi-auto cost me too much in ammo when shooting at prairie dogs. (That was way back in the '70's.)

Second was a Rossi 38 Special revolver that I never shot much, and I sold it to a friend that was a CCW instructor that needed a revolver for demonstrations in his classes.

Third was a .40 caliber Springfield Armory XD that I sold to a nephew. I figured my .40 caliber Glock 23C was enough in that caliber.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rarely ever sell one anymore , I am old enough I am over that phase of constantly trading something or selling something to get something new. I buy what I want and don't worry about it , selling something these days is because I can't shoot it anymore which seems to be happening mostly with my milsurps and I won't ruin the value of something just to make it where it can be shot by me .

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought most of mine for a extra retirement fund for that in case i need the money or die, but other than that i dont normally sell just have it put back, what other toy/hobby can you get into and play with it for a while and then get rid of it and make money on it if bought right or hold it long enough. I have pretty much quit buying unless something falls into my lap at a really good price.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought most of mine for a extra retirement fund for that in case i need the money or die, but other than that i dont normally sell just have it put back, what other toy/hobby can you get into and play with it for a while and then get rid of it and make money on it if bought right or hold it long enough. I have pretty much quit buying unless something falls into my lap at a really good price.

Actually adjusted for inflation most guns don't increase much in value . Not the case for every gun but it is mostly the rule .

Latest posts

Top Bottom