Biggest reason YOU sell a gun???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggest reason YOU decide to sell a particular gun??? (non-dealers)

• Need the money (otherwise would keep)

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • Out of room in the gun safe (safe sets my limits)

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Tried it and just didn't like it or shoot it well

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • Wanted to upgrade to something new or different

Votes: 45 36.9%
  • OCD-related (e.g. can't stand to own more than you need; you have rules you follow)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Can't take it with you (no heirs or just letting go as you get older)

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • No longer needed for specific purpose (e.g. no longer turkey hunting, etc.)

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other reason (elaborate below)

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I won't sell my guns for any reason

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters

Bob White

Marksman
Reaction score
Do you think it through and do the "what if" scenarios before you sell soemthing you don't use? I do see folks who sold guns then later looking to buy the same thing again LOL.

I stupidly traded off my original 10/22 when I was young, only to regret it later in life and buy another. Funny thing is I then sold the shotgun I traded for (after having it for 20+yrs) to an uncle who has since passed away. But I replaced it too with something new and less rare, but I would have rather had from a practicality standpoint. But I do think about that old gun sometimes knowing it is somewhere in my aunt's closet and my cousins who know nothing about guns will get it someday. I made a deal with my uncle that if I ever wanted to buy it back i could and I reminded my cousins of that after he passed but I don't think I will ever invoke that because I can't take it with me either LOL.
Yep, Nothing like seeing a used gun on the rack that catches your eye but when you pick it up you realize you used to own it.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve sold/traded 7 guns in 25 years. I really need to clean out the safe and closets.

Biggest reason I’ve sold a very few, I hated them.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to collect M1 Garands. One day I looked in the safe at the collection, and thought to myself:

”That’s a LOT of money tied up in firearms I’ll never shoot. Why?”

So I sold almost all of them, and put the money to better use. Quality woodworking and welding equipment that I use far more often, nice gifts for my girlfriend, etc. No regrets at all.

Same thing with other firearms I’ve had. “I can’t remember the last time I shot this one…” Sold.

Mine was a “working” collection before the obligatory boat accident.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I voted other, best way to describe what makes me let go or trade is as follows:

6% want something new
7% someone else should be enjoying it
88% for sale/trade comments

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sell very few.

I had and sold 3 Ruger Vaquero. Replaced all 3 with Blackhawk.

Been trying to sell Browning A-5 3" 12 ga
But haven't sold or traded, yet.
May be that I really want to keep it, though I don't need it, but it is so Purdy and shoots VERY WELL.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say I probably only shoot regularly about 10% of what I own. Some stuff will go years without pulling it out of the safe but then when I do I remember how much I enjoy it and why I keep it. I'm havent sold very many guns but the ones I have is usually because I upgraded significantly, like from a Rossi revolver to a Smith. I sold a GP100 once for some extra pocket money on a trip and regret it. Ruger P90, Glock 21 and Israeli HI Power because I hated them.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where I live, there’s no real gun stores to actually look at guns, so if I see something on the interwebs that tickles my fancy, I’m forced to buy it to try it. I can tell you from experience that good advertising doesn’t mean a gun is worth a d*mn. I‘ve been disappointed the vast majority of the time.
There have been a few that I’ve sold to fund something else, and 9 times out of 10 I’ve regretted it later when the new penny wasn’t as shiny as I thought.
Over the past couple or three years, I’ve realized that I’ve got a few guns I’m never going to shoot, and my kids aren’t necessarily going to want but haven’t tried to sell them yet.
I used to kind of enjoy buying and selling guns, but the last few attempted sales have been nothing but tire kickers and low ballers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom