Biggest reason YOU sell a gun???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggest reason YOU decide to sell a particular gun??? (non-dealers)

• Need the money (otherwise would keep)

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • Out of room in the gun safe (safe sets my limits)

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Tried it and just didn't like it or shoot it well

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • Wanted to upgrade to something new or different

Votes: 45 36.9%
  • OCD-related (e.g. can't stand to own more than you need; you have rules you follow)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Can't take it with you (no heirs or just letting go as you get older)

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • No longer needed for specific purpose (e.g. no longer turkey hunting, etc.)

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other reason (elaborate below)

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I won't sell my guns for any reason

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters

Birdseed

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a new Colt Python and it shot well for short time. It quit shooting my .38 special reloads, light primer strikes. Sent it back to colt, came back and the trigger was not good. I traded it in on a Springfield 1911 Prodigy. I really like the Springfield.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to be an accumulator; I’d pick them up for various reasons, sometimes just because I didn’t have that particular model. Sometimes because I liked that particular model and two is obviously better than one. (Duh) A few times I’ve gotten a moment of sanity and sold off some because I don’t need all this stuff. I’ve sworn off impulse buying and decided to be responsible. Every now and then I get the itch to shop around just to see what’s available and I don’t ever have a problem finding something that should come home with me. I’m still an accumulator.

Worp

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
From motorcycles, boats, cars, guns, etc..... I'll sell anything after it sits around for awhile. Since I'm retired and on a limited income these days I do try to sell things to fund another purchase. I'm not big into keeping things that I don't use anymore or plan to use. My sons aren't really into guns per say. I'm not really a person who is attached to guns for sentimental reasons, but I do have my favorites. Example: I have a Rem. 700 BDL .22-250, bull barrel that has a really sweet trigger that I bought from a gentleman at a gun show who was a buyer/seller that was unfortunately going blind. He would occasionally sell a gun from his personal favorites stash, and the BDL was one of them. It's just a joy to shoot and would be the last gun that I would ever sell. More so than my 6.5 CM that's tricked out to some extent and a gun that I shoot long range with. I reloaded ammo when I was younger and wanted to get back into it. About a year ago I acquired a good amount of reloading equipment from a friend who didn't use it anymore. I was still wanting to add some items to what he had. So to do that I recently sold a couple of rifles that I never used. (One here on the forum and another to a friend.) I also sold several other items I had laying around on FB Marketplace which in turn became the funding for those reloading tools I wanted.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We moved to OKC in Spring 2013, from a significantly larger home, so I did have a few to my grandsons and sold some others. I wanted the boys to have the fun of building their collections in line with their tastes instead of mine.

Then several months ago, I developed a couple of medical issues in my right hand. At first it was only certain shapes and angles of grips that created sharp pain after a few rounds. So, a number of handguns were sold off as the problem grew, to where I have recently moved to 22s only in handguns.

It was fun for many years, and still is only in a different way.

There are as many reasons for selling firearms as there are owners and firearms.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't sell firearms. I buy firearms.
In my lifetime I've bought a couple of guns that came real cheap because a coworker needed some quick money and then resold them. Two I think.
Never sold a firearm to fund another. I would work more overtime or take on parttime work instead.
If money was needed for other reasons, same situation. Work more overtime or parttime work. The thought of selling the stash never crossed my mind.
My heirs are not into guns for various reasons, so when the time comes, there will be one hell of an auction. My guns, accessories, and toys are their inheritance. I'm accumulating wealth for them to be shared in my passing.
Better than investing in a savings account for them.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I first really got into guns I bought and sold all the time. Mostly because I was looking for my grail gun. So I shot a lot of different brands. I ended up with the one I started with, an Sig 226 (E2). That’s my carry and home defense handgun. Even though I love guns I rarely shoot anymore. I’d say 90% of my guns have never been shot. I’ve never shot any of the AK’s or AR’s I have. I consider them my Zombie guns. Just bought another safe because I ran out of room. I’m at the point now where I want to change out a couple guns for more iconic guns. I’d like to sell a couple AR’s, a Henry lever action 357 (just put a Winchester 357 on order….and I have a thing for Winchester). Gonna sell a Mossberg SPX, just bought a Benelli M4. So for me it’s kinda just upgrading. I have all my bases covered with handguns, rifles and shotguns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom