Biggest reason YOU sell a gun???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggest reason YOU decide to sell a particular gun??? (non-dealers)

• Need the money (otherwise would keep)

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • Out of room in the gun safe (safe sets my limits)

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Tried it and just didn't like it or shoot it well

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • Wanted to upgrade to something new or different

Votes: 45 36.9%
  • OCD-related (e.g. can't stand to own more than you need; you have rules you follow)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Can't take it with you (no heirs or just letting go as you get older)

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • No longer needed for specific purpose (e.g. no longer turkey hunting, etc.)

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other reason (elaborate below)

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I won't sell my guns for any reason

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters

cmc tom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over 51yrs all my guns where bought for a purpose. A .22 bolt for plinking, 12ga for goose hunting, .270 for deer, taurus judge for snakes, ruger 57 for winter ccw, ect. Getting older, grandkids not interested in shooting sports. Now thinning the herd, selling 4, buying 1 special firearm. Safe is getting manageable, room for a reproduction rolling block. Can't decide 45lc or .357. And the hunt continues.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
pass mine on for about what i pay for them.. buy something else that interests me. never been about money !!you hungry ill give you 1/2 my sandwich never really had money so it doesn't bother me!

Last edited:

McNaughty69

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tried and didn't like it. Because they were not accurate enough.

I did sell 1 very accurate .308 Savage heavy barrel with accutrigger.
Started out as a 24" and I shortened it to 20.5 and accuracy came way up.

A guy I met at the range just had to have it I sold it for 600 without scope.
Same day I went and got another savage .308 but this one was threaded (not needed)
and had an even shorter barrel 18". It is even more accurate
LOVE IT.
I have the same in .308 and just got a 6.5 creedmore. Axis II SR in FDE

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can’t think of an instance where I sold to do other than buy other firearms.

In fact right now I want a new Ruger-made Marlin and a 39 or 39a. My mind keeps thinking about a Marlin 1893 in 32-40 with a Special order half-Octagon half-Round barrel that might find its way to the block.

That would fund most if not all of one of those two. But I’d likely have to resort to Gunbroker.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I probably have 4-5x as many registered to me than I actually own. I'd like (almost) every thing I own to fill a particular gap and to work well very well (for me). I don't want a bunch of variants of things that are essentially the same, generally. For example, after putting in enough time to realize I prefer the striker-fire function of the P10C, my P07 is perpetually "for sale". I don't want six 223 rifles that are essentially the same, or five mid-size 9mm handguns (although, along the lines of "filling gaps"... I'm fine with the idea of say one 9mm that is ultra carry capable, one that is larger but carryable, and one that is raced out simply for fun).
I like to have a primary and a backup of most if not all types or purposes. The chances that the primary will break and I can't get parts is low unless guns and parts become scarce,or we reach the zombie apocalypse (which is always looming). So I figure having at least 1 deep of at least some kinds for insurance is worth it. I don't buy the EXACT same though, but something for the same purpose that is similar and handles the same...sometimes same brand, sometimes not. In a perfect world I'd have two of everything of the EXACT same, same sights, optics, etc. But that takes discipline and money to get there so I just do the best I can.
Guns and Ammo will one day be better than Gold.
Yeah, we've all been hearing that since the 90's and it isn't wrong, and I'm glad we haven't reached the point of that because then we will have a lot of other problems...but YES, in many ways guns and ammo are an insurance policy. I recall some guy on here recently saying he'd be passing out cheap AR's in his neighborhood if we were ever WORL.
What ever the reason I always regret it
Yeah...I sold an LCR and later regretted, but through continuing to be honest with myself and knowing I won't live forever (on the earth), I made peace with the decision. I am not a huge revolver fan and didn't want to stock 38spl ammo anyway. But another more recent sale went to a guy who was very happy to get it and it was ecatly what he had been wanting...I know that if we ever reached WORL, that I would not be holing that one so it was just a novelty for me and taking up room in the safe. But now I have others that I'm torn between saving for in case I change my mind, or just letting go now. I did the same with several rare cars and watercraft...I just can't store and project all of them no matter how special. Guns are the same in some ways.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom