black kettle wma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
what the guys are meaning is scout while you're hunting.. If I went to a new area out west I'd be looking for possible roosting areas, birds will be in that general area at least some time around daylight and dusk hours.. Take a day and find out what their routine is, and get between where they are and where they want to be and you should at least have a chance at one.. Don't over call either, those wma birds have heard every call in the book before..

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's been a good 10-12 years since I hunted there, so take this for what it's worth. Unit 32 immediately came to mind. Had a lot of good hunting on the East side of it where a creek bed butted up next to a farmers field. Sometimes you would find some on the Northwest corner of Unit 29, but it was hit or miss. In unit 22 there's a small valley at the North end right where the notch is. There are a lot of big cottonwoods that would hold large flocks. The only problem there is which way they fly off the roost. If they feel any pressure and go North, they're on private land and good luck getting them back across. I swear those Black Kettle birds know exactly where the public land ends and the private begins! Beautiful area though and we had a lot of good hunts there, whether we got birds or not! :)

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just like the deer hunting there, the turkeys normal routine will be good for under an hour on opening day. After that calling will be pretty useless and it's all about spot and stalk.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just like the deer hunting there, the turkeys normal routine will be good for under an hour on opening day. After that calling will be pretty useless and it's all about spot and stalk.

I don't completely agree with this statement. You can call public land birds on the first day as well as the last day, along with all the days in between.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev3_065403.pdf

This is the best set of maps that you will find for the area. I always go with a buddy, and we have our morning spots picked out from years past. My buddy acts as a lookout and navigator as I drive. If they do not have birds on the areas then we will beat the bush or drive around and try to spot birds crossing fields or out in the open. Once we locate them we try to get set up in their path. Just go out there and have fun. Spend this first year figuring out the areas and scouting for deer season. Also drive up adn hunt packsaddle, I shot a jake up there last year just out looking at the area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom