Noodling around OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see a ton of sliders in all the ponds but have yet to see a snapper. Do they generally hide in the water or do they hang out I land and logs?
I typically see them at the edge of the pond digging a hole to lay eggs in.
Back in the day, my son and his buddy had their daisy red ryder bb guns at his buddies house in the country. They went to the pond to shoot what kids shoot at ponds and got muddy hands in the process. Son stepped on what he thought was a rock to wash his hands, and almost lost the last segment of his social finger as he was standing on the back of a snapping turtle. Just a piece of skin held it on. They ran to the house, dad took our son to the ER where we were called. They successfully reattached it, and it looks pretty good to this day forty or so years later.
Meanwhile while we were at the ER, buddies dad goes back home, then to the pond with a .22. He could not penetrate the shell as it was a very big turtle. He came back with a 30-30 and that was it.
Noodling is fun although haven't done it in years.
Good luck!

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think I've seen any snapping turtles sunning like sliders do. I caught several snappers out of ponds with hoop style net traps. Caught sliders in the floating traps but don't remember catching any snapping turtles in those.

Familyguy

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll have to check out that area of skeleton creek and hopefully not run into any bodies.. now do snapping turtles prefer more ponds than larger rivers?

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah the snapping turtles are more common than you think. Don’t see them all the time, but they’re around.. I usually see them around, creeks and ponds. But I don’t spend a whole lot of time on the rivers, so I can’t say how common they are there. I’m more into fishing the lakes

I consider myself a person who is comfortable taking calculated risks and I tend to enjoy most redneck activities. But noodling is big HELL NO for me lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom