Bolt-Action model differences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what is the difference in the action on the various Bolt-Action Savage rifle models?

Is the Model 10, the same basic action as the 110, and is that the same action as the 11 and 12? What about the 111, 112, and the 14 and 16?

Are any of the parts interchangable in any of these models?

I know Remington's 700 action is different than their model 710 and (I think their model 7 and model 770), but I have no idea about Savage model numbers.

Is this in a chart somewhere?

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The actions are the same.

They only difference that really effects interchangeability is the length of the actions / stocks. Pretty much everything else swaps out easily (well...except, obviously, trigger parts between pre-accutrigger models and those with it).

There are 3 bolt heads...large, small, and magnum. Swapping barrels is easy if you have the right tools.

If you switch calibers that have a different size that your current bolt head, no big deal. $20 gets you another bolt head.

Now...since Savage switched to the new "centerfeed" last year, stock manufacturers haven't really switched over to the new spacing. Choate's new tactical stock has been released for it, though.

That said, I intentionally bought "old" Savages so I could use B&C stocks, which you've already seen:

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a320_mmchambers06_110la2.jpg

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a320_mmchambers06_10fp2.jpg

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a Savage expert but as you may already know, I think the 2 digit model #'s are short actions while the 3 digits are long.
The 11, 12 and 14's, etc. are features; i.e. stainless, wood stocks, etc.
Don't know of any list but savage's website may be your best bet.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a Savage expert but as you may already know, I think the 2 digit model #'s are short actions while the 3 digits are long.
The 11, 12 and 14's, etc. are features; i.e. stainless, wood stocks, etc.

That's good to know - I was wondering about that.

Don't know of any list but savage's website may be your best bet.

You'd think so, but not so much.

Reaction score
Like the man said, all the two-digits are essentially the same (10, 11, 12, 14), and all the 3-digits are the same (110, 111, 112, 114), which are all in turn, the same as the 2-digits except for a longer action.

mmChambers, dang those are some tasty looking rifles you got there - love them! How do they shoot?

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another thing to add if you are looking at getting a used model is that (don't quote me) the older pre- accutrigger models and the early accutrigger's were flat on to and the newer ones are round. The only reason it matters to me is when buying scope bases

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another thing to add if you are looking at getting a used model is that (don't quote me) the older pre- accutrigger models and the early accutrigger's were flat on to and the newer ones are round. The only reason it matters to me is when buying scope bases

This is correct...If you shop for Savage bases on most sites, they're in 2 sections for flat / round.

Now it was only the REAR part of the Savage action that used to be square. The front has always been rounded.

To answer Tad's question...the answer is better than me most of the time. I just got the 110 together and haven't gotten in much trigger time with it yet...

microsoftisevil

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup, the two digit ones are the short action models. I have a 16 chambered for .308 in stainless. Dang fine shooter out of the box and it won't break your wallet.

One recommendation I can add is that the factory synthetic stocks are rather junky so you will be looking to buy a new one after the first time you take her to the range probably. Where I am going with this is that since you will want a new stock, buy a Savage with a blind magazine box versus the hinged floorplate model. I made this mistake. I am really needing to order the parts so I can convert it so that I can buy the stock I want. The hinged floorplate is really going to limit your options, so do it right from the start and get a blind mag box unless you just really think you want to be able to unload with the flip of a lever. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom