Squirrel hunting rigs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a squirrel hunter but always thought a .22/.410 OU would be a good squirrel gun.
I actually meant to mention that in my previous response. Im not a squirrel hunter either, or was ever much of one, but I’ve killed more squirrels with a savage 24 22mag/410 than anything else. By any metric, that is the largest POS gun I own. It’s been brought back from the dead 3 times by the looks of it. But it shoots true and I’ve carried it around alot.

HogHQ39

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my CZ457, it’s a money pit of upgrades, but it’s an awesome rifle. I’ve since replaced the leupold with a Zeiss and haven’t taken it back out.
View attachment 407916
I love my Henry as well. It does me pretty good, and is a lot more pleasant to carry than the CZ, although I wish it had a sling. I use a primary arms p22 6x fixed rimrifle scope on this guy. My alltime favorite rimfire scope.

View attachment 407917
But sometimes we’re just out doing other stuff, and all I have is a shotgun. So a shotgun works. I do prefer a shotgun when I’m out with Clyde. Having a high drive dog makes it difficult to stalk and take relaxed precision shots. So a shotgun is what I find myself grabbing more and more. This was Clyde’s first squirrel. I think he was 8 months old? We were out jumpshooting ducks and stumbled across this unlucky guy on the way back to the truck. Clyde treed him, I shot him with a 3” steel duck load, and Clyde retrieved him back to hand. Clyde was almost as proud of himself as I was. I love that dog.

View attachment 407918

For the record, I have about 1300 rounds of 17hm2 laying around that I don’t have a rifle for anymore, so if you want it, I’ll be happy to sell it for whatever is fair. I’ve just found myself sticking with 22lr and 17HMR.
Wow, awesome looking rifle! I've always liked the look of the CZs but just have never pulled the trigger on one. That's some pretty cool stories, thanks for sharing. And if I do decide to get a 17m 2 I will definitely holler at you. Do you take Clyde out now for squirrels or mostly in the fall?

HogHQ39

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually meant to mention that in my previous response. Im not a squirrel hunter either, or was ever much of one, but I’ve killed more squirrels with a savage 24 22mag/410 than anything else. By any metric, that is the largest POS gun I own. It’s been brought back from the dead 3 times by the looks of it. But it shoots true and I’ve carried it around alot.
Always wanted a combo but that 410 ammo nowadays is way too high...

Latest posts

Top Bottom