Squirrel hunting rigs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father gave me 1 bullet in deer camp for grandfathers Gill gun 22 rifle.
Told me not to come back without a squirrel.
Man I had to make it count. I had bad vision but I never mentioned it because if you aren't dying then you do not need to go to a doctor or a dentist. Yea that was how it was.

Now i came back with one and got another bullet and told to scram and do not come back without a squirrel.
Those old codgers just wanted to party at deer camp. I hated it. I was 12.

Now the next bullet was harder to get on a tree rat and I followed this one for 30+ minutes trying to get a still shot but it kept running from tree to tree up in the canopy.

Well that squirrel ran out of limb and went to jump but not another tree close enough.
He put the brakes on at the end of the limb and did a flip as he grabbed the limb with his front hands.
Now he was hanging there 20 feet up and trying to get his back legs up on the limb but could not do it and slowly lost grip and I watched his little fingers slowly open and he fell to the ground all flicking around.

BAM! right on his back and KNOCKED OUT.
I picked his limp body up and took him over to the tree trunk and placed him on the ground. his head began wobbling and his eyes opened slowly.
He bobbled his head side to side then got on the tree and started up slowly still bobble headed.

Made his way all around the tree and back to me and about 2 feet higher shaking his head.

I never fired that last bullet.
I have been told I should have taken that squirrel back to camp and handed it to the old man and then hand him the bullet.

I wasn't that smart back then.
But i would have probably got a beating for doing that.
I got them for much less.

I chased that squirrel for so long I think he became my friend.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Henry 22 is my go-to rifle. I like that it can shoot shorts. Another gun that I'll use is a Ruger single six with a six and a half inch barrel and finally to round out I have a 28 gauge Remington Wingmaster that just does a great job as well.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My marlin model 60 with a 3-9x I’ve had since I was 13 years old has taken lots of squirrels. Shot plenty with a .410 single shot too.

I prefer headshots with a .22 for the best eating carcass. But if someone new is coming along they’re going to have better odds with a shotgun obviously.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, awesome looking rifle! I've always liked the look of the CZs but just have never pulled the trigger on one. That's some pretty cool stories, thanks for sharing. And if I do decide to get a 17m 2 I will definitely holler at you. Do you take Clyde out now for squirrels or mostly in the fall?
Thank you. Clyde and I try to go out year around. Squirrels, rabbits, and pigs typically give us excuses to get out of the house and keep us sharp for the regular fall hunting seasons. Sadly, we haven’t done much this year. It’s just been too hot, >90 degrees means we need to be hunting near water to keep him cool every 30 minutes or so. It’s not super thick, but he does have a very dense double coat. That and between going to school for a career change, and remodeling the house/yard it’s been hard to get away.

HogHQ39

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you. Clyde and I try to go out year around. Squirrels, rabbits, and pigs typically give us excuses to get out of the house and keep us sharp for the regular fall hunting seasons. Sadly, we haven’t done much this year. It’s just been too hot, >90 degrees means we need to be hunting near water to keep him cool every 30 minutes or so. It’s not super thick, but he does have a very dense double coat. That and between going to school for a career change, and remodeling the house/yard it’s been hard to get away.
I’m right there with you, I wish it’d hurry up and start cooling down some.

Latest posts

Top Bottom