Squirrel hunting rigs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My new squirrel blaster. Feel like Han Solo blasting Greedo tree rats.
1000001368.jpg

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up shooting Papa's Winchester M-62. Loved that gun.
Bought a Browning BL-22, in college. Accurate, light, fast, fun. Grandson's favorite.
Marlin 1894 .22 Mag was tops for a while. Oldest son decided it was his favorite.
Dad found a Winchester M-61, gave me for birthday, before he passed.
Protecting my pecan tree in town; Walther .177 break barrel w/4x scope is good for head shots to 50 yards.
Old eyes now, my #1 is SxS .410.
Tried a few with a Single Six, squirrel has the advantage.

They all get the job done. They all are fun. Grab a gun and go.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shotgun:

Weatherby SA-08 20 ga. w/26" barrel.

Favorite squirrel load is a high velocity 1 oz. load of copper plated #6 shot.

Rifle:

Marlin model 6082 .22 Long Rifle.

Favorite squirrel round is a .22 Stinger. Second favorite is any high velocity hollow point.

IMG_20230905_171348888_HDR~2.jpg

fishincoop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love my CZ457, it’s a money pit of upgrades, but it’s an awesome rifle. I’ve since replaced the leupold with a Zeiss and haven’t taken it back out.
View attachment 407916
I love my Henry as well. It does me pretty good, and is a lot more pleasant to carry than the CZ, although I wish it had a sling. I use a primary arms p22 6x fixed rimrifle scope on this guy. My alltime favorite rimfire scope.

View attachment 407917
But sometimes we’re just out doing other stuff, and all I have is a shotgun. So a shotgun works. I do prefer a shotgun when I’m out with Clyde. Having a high drive dog makes it difficult to stalk and take relaxed precision shots. So a shotgun is what I find myself grabbing more and more. This was Clyde’s first squirrel. I think he was 8 months old? We were out jumpshooting ducks and stumbled across this unlucky guy on the way back to the truck. Clyde treed him, I shot him with a 3” steel duck load, and Clyde retrieved him back to hand. Clyde was almost as proud of himself as I was. I love that dog.

View attachment 407918

For the record, I have about 1300 rounds of 17hm2 laying around that I don’t have a rifle for anymore, so if you want it, I’ll be happy to sell it for whatever is fair. I’ve just found myself sticking with 22lr and 17HMR.
1693958742744.jpeg

I like a man that carry’s a fishing rod, Coleman stove, and a good looking young dog to the woods for ducks or bushy tails!!
Great photo!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom