Squirrel hunting rigs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HogHQ39

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven’t hunted squirrels in many years, but I do have a Henry lever action 22. I’d say that it would be just fine for squirrel hunting. My squirrel gun when I was a kid was a Remington 572 Fieldmaster with a scope which is still in the back of my safe somewhere.
You're not trying to get rid of that lever action? Haha

HogHQ39

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t have much experience with the Henry’s, I second the win 9422 though. Both my magnum and LR shoot extremely well, but the triggers aren’t fantastic from the factory. I’ve got a Ruger 77/17 that I really like as well. It shoots minute of squirrel eyeball at 50yds. The 17s are cool, they aren’t real good for killing stuff much above 10lbs in my opinion, but they’re hell on squirrel and prairie dog heads.
I guess I will have to look up the 9422 and check it out. What yardage did you typically sight in your scoped rifles for squirrels?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my CZ457, it’s a money pit of upgrades, but it’s an awesome rifle. I’ve since replaced the leupold with a Zeiss and haven’t taken it back out.
IMG_5936.jpeg

I love my Henry as well. It does me pretty good, and is a lot more pleasant to carry than the CZ, although I wish it had a sling. I use a primary arms p22 6x fixed rimrifle scope on this guy. My alltime favorite rimfire scope.

IMG_6488.jpeg

But sometimes we’re just out doing other stuff, and all I have is a shotgun. So a shotgun works. I do prefer a shotgun when I’m out with Clyde. Having a high drive dog makes it difficult to stalk and take relaxed precision shots. So a shotgun is what I find myself grabbing more and more. This was Clyde’s first squirrel. I think he was 8 months old? We were out jumpshooting ducks and stumbled across this unlucky guy on the way back to the truck. Clyde treed him, I shot him with a 3” steel duck load, and Clyde retrieved him back to hand. Clyde was almost as proud of himself as I was. I love that dog.

IMG_0378.jpeg

For the record, I have about 1300 rounds of 17hm2 laying around that I don’t have a rifle for anymore, so if you want it, I’ll be happy to sell it for whatever is fair. I’ve just found myself sticking with 22lr and 17HMR.

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my CZ457, it’s a money pit of upgrades, but it’s an awesome rifle. I’ve since replaced the leupold with a Zeiss and haven’t taken it back out.
View attachment 407916
I love my Henry as well. It does me pretty good, and is a lot more pleasant to carry than the CZ, although I wish it had a sling. I use a primary arms p22 6x fixed rimrifle scope on this guy. My alltime favorite rimfire scope.

View attachment 407917
But sometimes we’re just out doing other stuff, and all I have is a shotgun. So a shotgun works. I do prefer a shotgun when I’m out with Clyde. Having a high drive dog makes it difficult to stalk and take relaxed precision shots. So a shotgun is what I find myself grabbing more and more. This was Clyde’s first squirrel. I think he was 8 months old? We were out jumpshooting ducks and stumbled across this unlucky guy on the way back to the truck. Clyde treed him, I shot him with a 3” steel duck load, and Clyde retrieved him back to hand. Clyde was almost as proud of himself as I was. I love that dog.

View attachment 407918

For the record, I have about 1300 rounds of 17hm2 laying around that I don’t have a rifle for anymore, so if you want it, I’ll be happy to sell it for whatever is fair. I’ve just found myself sticking with 22lr and 17HMR.
That CZ is nice!:thumb:

When I was looking for a bolt action 22, I narrowed my choices down to a CZ 457, a Bergara, and a Tikka T1x. I found a Tikka first. :anyone:

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 407916

View attachment 407917

View attachment 407918

Those are both good looking guns. Dog too. Now days most of my squirrel shooting is incidental as well, and a shotgun definitely works.

Latest posts

Top Bottom