Squirrel hunting rigs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HogHQ39

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is y’all’s go to choice for squirrel hunting? Is it shotguns or is it rimfire? I have always heard CZs, 10/22s, model 60s, and some bolt action savages were great for squirrels. But I am really leaning towards getting a Henry lever action 22lr. Do any of you have any experience using one?
I have also heard a little about 17 mach ii. I’m interested in that round but the rifle selection seems to be low and the ammo availability seems to be difficult to find as well. Thanks

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I’m still hunting, I tend to carry a scoped 22, but if I’m hunting with a dog, I use a shotgun.

I had a Sako Quad with a 17 Mach2 barrel, but at the time, the ammo was impossible to find. I see the ammo in stock now, but I’m not interested in owning another gun in the caliber.

HogHQ39

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I’m still hunting, I tend to carry a scoped 22, but if I’m hunting with a dog, I use a shotgun.

I had a Sako Quad with a 17 Mach2 barrel, but at the time, the ammo was impossible to find. I see the ammo in stock now, but I’m not interested in owning another gun in the caliber.
How often do you hunt with a dog? I’ve never done that before for squirrels .

I also am hesitant to buy a rifle chambered in 17mach2 because of the ammunition. But how did you like it for squirrels?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How often do you hunt with a dog? I’ve never done that before for squirrels .

I also am hesitant to buy a rifle chambered in 17mach2 because of the ammunition. But how did you like it for squirrels?
When I was a kid in the 70’s, there weren’t any deer here in east Texas, so squirrel hunting was a big deal. My Grandfather always had a squirrel dog, and we hunted all the time. My brother has a good dog now, but I’ve only hunted behind her a couple times.

Like I said, when I had the Sako, the ammo was impossible to find, so I was never able to shoot it. I’m a huge fan of a 17hmr and have two AR’s chambered in the caliber.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Using a solid rest like a tree to steady the gun or my knees if I was sitting I hunted squirrels for many years with a scoped 14" TC Contender handgun chambered in .22LR.

22lrc.jpg

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t hunted squirrels in many years, but I do have a Henry lever action 22. I’d say that it would be just fine for squirrel hunting. My squirrel gun when I was a kid was a Remington 572 Fieldmaster with a scope which is still in the back of my safe somewhere.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t have much experience with the Henry’s, I second the win 9422 though. Both my magnum and LR shoot extremely well, but the triggers aren’t fantastic from the factory. I’ve got a Ruger 77/17 that I really like as well. It shoots minute of squirrel eyeball at 50yds. The 17s are cool, they aren’t real good for killing stuff much above 10lbs in my opinion, but they’re hell on squirrel and prairie dog heads.

HogHQ39

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a kid in the 70’s, there weren’t any deer here in east Texas, so squirrel hunting was a big deal. My Grandfather always had a squirrel dog, and we hunted all the time. My brother has a good dog now, but I’ve only hunted behind her a couple times.

Like I said, when I had the Sako, the ammo was impossible to find, so I was never able to shoot it. I’m a huge fan of a 17hmr and have two AR’s chambered in the caliber.
That's pretty cool. I have not hunted squirrels all that much but I am starting to get into it now. I would like to try hunting them with a dog, that seems pretty fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom