Books

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lindsay Publications is a now defunct company that reprinted books with old time science and skills in them (I think they went for copyright expired titles).
Their remaining books were carried by Your Old Time Bookstore but their website looks like they too are trying to close up shop and retire.
I guess you can also try the some of the titles you want at online used bookstores.

https://www.youroldtimebookstore.com/default.asp

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lindsay Publications is a now defunct company that reprinted books with old time science and skills in them (I think they went for copyright expired titles).
Their remaining books were carried by Your Old Time Bookstore but their website looks like they too are trying to close up shop and retire.
I guess you can also try the some of the titles you want at online used bookstores.

https://www.youroldtimebookstore.com/default.asp
You can find a lot of the stuff that Lindsay used for source material at archive.org. You can find PDF copies of the lists of Lindsay Technical books at scribd.com, free 30-day trial, and $9.99/month to keep it going, or if you look hard enough, out in the wild on the internet. If you're looking for the books on metalworking by David Gingery, you can find them at Gingery Book Store

Bill

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can go to the library and look at the Firefox series of books. There are over a dozen. It started as a class project to try and preserve the knowledge of the older people in the Appalachian mountains while they were still around before they all died off.
There is some flat awesome stuff in them ranging from how to build a wagon wheel to a homemade muzzle loader barrel and all. An incredible amount of homestead- off grid mountain living type stuff. Take a LOok!
So I ordered volumes 1-2-3 and started reading 1, introduction was very good, followed by an excellent story bout a little ole lady in the woods. Then on to wood use, id, types and more, haven't got into that topic yet, but so far good stuff. I'll be picking up more every weekend until complete. I read where volume 5 is going to be quite the love, Blacksmithing, Flintlock Rifles, Bear Hunting, and Other Affairs of Plain Living.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of my favorites!

Back to Basics, Readers Digest

All flesh is Grass, Gene Logsdon
Small Scale Grain Raising, Gene Logsdon

Salad Bar Beef, Joel Salatin
Pastured Poultry Profit$, Joel Salatin

ABBE44BA-93CC-4FBC-835D-3BCB3BEAC502.jpeg

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got some books from strictly medicinal seeds. Plants used for medicine, salves, making tinctures etc. Making plant medicine is more detailed. He has a youtube channel also.
The wife has a book or 2 on that topic. Our life adventure is shared and I'm careful to not step on her toes as my opinion is not in her recipe. If I want to keep piece ( properly spelt) I watch my feet. Yes dear I'll take a piece.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife has a book or 2 on that topic. Our life adventure is shared and I'm careful to not step on her toes as my opinion is not in her recipe. If I want to keep piece ( properly spelt) I watch my feet. Yes dear I'll take a piece.

Like your wife, I "may" have "one or two" books on medicinal native plants, as well as "a couple" on native edibles. Now that Grumpy loves me again he has been doing the hard stuff (cleaning out the garden beds and refreshing the dirt with topsoil/composted dirt from Minick's -- it's too easy to cheat ... They are a mile down the street and my old truck needs a drive every so often. 🤷🤗) so I'm gathering up seeds of native plants to start my own "weed bed" ... I'm looking forward to working with some native plants from the Zoo's annual plant sale.

I'd be interested in sharing titles. Just to make sure there's not one out there I still "need". 🤷😋😁 I'll go first. Let me get some stuff done around here and I'll type it up this evening.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of my favorites!

Back to Basics, Readers Digest

All flesh is Grass, Gene Logsdon
Small Scale Grain Raising, Gene Logsdon

Salad Bar Beef, Joel Salatin
Pastured Poultry Profit$, Joel Salatin

View attachment 242366
Top 2 perk my interest the bottom 3 we're employing at present. The foxfire books that cowbaby suggested are full of good stuff. I'm now up to Volume 5 and very much enjoying the read. It is the OLD ways that are of the greatest interest. The days before technology spoiled us.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like your wife, I "may" have "one or two" books on medicinal native plants, as well as "a couple" on native edibles. Now that Grumpy loves me again he has been doing the hard stuff (cleaning out the garden beds and refreshing the dirt with topsoil/composted dirt from Minick's -- it's too easy to cheat ... They are a mile down the street and my old truck needs a drive every so often. 🤷🤗) so I'm gathering up seeds of native plants to start my own "weed bed" ... I'm looking forward to working with some native plants from the Zoo's annual plant sale.

I'd be interested in sharing titles. Just to make sure there's not one out there I still "need". 🤷😋😁 I'll go first. Let me get some stuff done around here and I'll type it up this evening.
I'm really digging the Foxfire series books @Cowbaby suggested full of all kinds of know how and I've only got 1-2-3 in hand at present. 4-5 are in the mail. They were written to keep old knowledge from being lost, now their termed survival books, funny how that works. The wife's books are mostly food related, canning, cheese making, soap making and crafting stuff. I'll have to get my ducks in a row before putting up a complete title inventory as some have been here a while and may be in the storage shed. The Jadam organic book is quite good too, I'm finding now that many have employed it but call it something else. Like Dave's swamp water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom