Bought my first Shield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was shocked that it would equal my DW PM-9 target gun, with factory defensive ammo no less!

That's an impressive group regardless, but HST seems to be an accurate load all around in my experience. I can't do it justice.

O/P, I've shot all weights and loads from USPSA gamer (spider fart 147s) to Ranger T +P+ out of mine and it's never bobbled once. I don't recommend the +P+ as it's a real handful and pretty hard on the gun, but +P I'm not afraid of shooting in the Shield. I carry +P 147HST in it almost exclusively. I have well past 1000 rounds now (mostly 115 handloads in practice). It's a gun you can actually shoot and not just carry a lot.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned two Shields (9mm and 45 ACP) and I think it is fair to say that the Shield, in either caliber, is an excellent sub-compact concealed carry weapon. The only thing I don't like, as a left-handed shooter, is that the I find the low-profile slide release and safety lever (optional) are very difficult for me to operate with the fingers of my left hand, i.e. for one handed quick operation. I found myself continually defaulting to two handed operation, an unwelcome change from how I employ my M&P 9 or 9c. If you are a right-handed shooter I think you will likely be very pleased with a Shield and low-profile controls (that annoy me) make for snag-free draws and very good concealed carry wear.

As a cost for value gun, I don't think it can be beat in its class.

Last edited:

docohm

Maximus Shooterist
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got two, both work great, no problems. A friend just recently got his CC permit and I talked him into one. (All these are 9MM). We took it to the range to break it in the other day, it had several FTF at first. This was using plain jane round nose ammo. After about 40 rounds of ammo it ran just fine. I did not have that problem with either of mine. He said he 'lubed' it and he never reads instructions so I wonder if he got oil some place it shouldn't be. Anyway, it was running just fine after that first box, we put a total of 250 rounds down the tube.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One feature I like about mine is you can work the slide with the safety in the safe position. Makes me feel a bit better when chambering a round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom