Brand new to reloading..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeatherDoctor

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and any forum for that matter, so thanks and apologies if I do something wronf. I just recently traded for what appears to be a pretty complete setup minus some things like a case trimmer and stuff like that. But the gentleman only loaded 9mm and .45. I have acquired .223 and .308 dies now as well. It came with some lead bullets and im not sure if i should run them through a Sig 226 9mm and a Colt 1911. I have seen people be on both sides of the fence. Next question is what need in addition for reloading rifle besides the die and a trimmer? Thanks again

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good loading manual or 2. Read the front sections on the basics of handloading carefully so you understand the principles involved before blindly starting with trial and error.
A good mentor is very valuable, too.

Loading bottleneck rifle cases and straight pistol cases has significant differences.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dies, press, trimmer, Lube, current loading manual and something to measure the length and neck ID. I use dial calipers.
I also use a debur tool for id and od of the case neck after trimming .
Then you get into a bunch of special stuff to eeek the last tenth out of your groups.
Have fun and be safe, read read read and pay attention.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to the group, there is a vast amount of knowledge here and most are willing to share it. I shoot hard cast lead in almost all my handguns, the 25acp being the exception. 1911's and Sigs gobble up hard cast bullets just fine. I load and shoot hard cast in 9mm, 40, 357sig and 45acp in Sigs, and 45acp for my 1911's. If you aren't into casting, Mitch at J&K Bullet Casters offers a great bullet and will often have powder and primers available with the bullet sale. He reserves the loading supplies for those who buys his bullets, so check him out. He is located in Moore OK, and makes many of the gunshows as well. What press setup do you have? I load with RCBS single stage Rock Chucker presses, the Lee Classic 50BMG press and a few Dillon 550B's, but I'm into it more than most folks are. Blitzfike

LeatherDoctor

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The press is a Rock Chucker. The person I got it from basically pieced together the Rock Chucker Supreme kit, with a couple variations. I had been eyeing that kit for a long time. I finally plunged because I could trade some stuff. I am big on reading and educating myself. I'm pretty handy with most things I get into, but always do my homework before I get ahead of myself. I'm already learning a lot on here about many different things. Definitely glad to be participating instead of just reading

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad to see you are starting with a single stage press. I have seen too many people wanting to start with a progressive thinking they can chunk out hundreds of rounds an hour straight out of the box. You'll learn a lot more about the individual processes. If you get a progressive down the road you'll benefit from the single stage experiences.

I'd suggest a hand priming tool.

LeatherDoctor

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a rcbs hand priming tool. I didnt feel comfortable starting with it on the press. That was my thought on the single stage, I can always upgrade as my abilities and needs require.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to reloading. Don't worry about shooting lead from your pistols. I've ran many thousands of rounds down my competition guns. At the end of the match when cleaning take a look down the barrel after its been removed from the gun, and if you see some smear marks, that's leading. I use the all copper scrubbing pads that are sold in the kitchen detergent section at walmart to clean out the lead. They will separate into sections, so I'll feed a section into the barrel, and run it from the breach through the barrel with a brass rod just smaller than barrel diameter. About three passes, and it will be clean, and ready for the next session.

If you buy the coated lead bullets like Bayou bullets, or BBI (Black Bullet International), you get bullets cheaper than jacketed, but more expensive than lead with wax lube. No barrel leading though, and less smoke.

Morpheus

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm also new to reloading I've been loading my own 6 months. It's fun and it brings out the nerd in you lol. You will learn a lot and it really is fun. I enjoy it almost as much as shooting. I started with a progressive and It has been fine. But also I'm used to a lot of moving parts.(automotive tech) I also have a single stage for depriming military crimp stuff.

I cast in my 40 and 45. Haven't seen any leading thus far. I've read a good cleanout trick to shoot a few plated after shooting to clean the lead out. Seems to keep the 40 gtg tho I didn't notice any lead before I did it. The 45 looks great without it and I've send several thousand threw it without a hickup.

Pistols are so much easier than rifles. Winshester wst is a good powder because it's grey easy to see and check load capacity.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm I use his homeade case lube and it works great. Also very easy to make. Saves money to

Morpheus

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you aren't into casting, Mitch at J&K Bullet Casters offers a great bullet and will often have powder He is located in Moore OK,

He also has safety fwhere's hooting lanes. Where heartland used to be. He sells his bullets and reloading supplies here in Edmond in case your in north okc. He is a good guy

Latest posts

Top Bottom