Brand new to reloading..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
Minimum of three reloading manuals! I suggest Lyman #49, Modern Reloading, 2nd ed. by Richard Lee and The ABC's of Reloading. Read these books from cover to cover before attempting any reloading. Never trust any data you find on the internet that cannot be verified with a manual. Alliant Powder has a free manual you can send for on their website. Alliant, Accurate/Ramshot and Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester all have verified loading data on their websites.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Minimum of three reloading manuals! I suggest Lyman #49, Modern Reloading, 2nd ed. by Richard Lee and The ABC's of Reloading. Read these books from cover to cover before attempting any reloading. Never trust any data you find on the internet that cannot be verified with a manual. Alliant Powder has a free manual you can send for on their website. Alliant, Accurate/Ramshot and Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester all have verified loading data on their websites.

Three? Why confirm three times? Is there a chance that one manual will be wrong, and need to compare against the other two? Find a used manual on the web for cheap.............something to confirm your internet loads with and save your money for supplies. Almost all the powder and bullet companies have verified loads on the web. Websites such as reloadersnest.com, requires a little more caution with some of the loads listed. As much as I hate to say it, the paper manuals are slowly fading away, IMO.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Three? Why confirm three times? Is there a chance that one manual will be wrong, and need to compare against the other two? Find a used manual on the web for cheap.............something to confirm your internet loads with and save your money for supplies. Almost all the powder and bullet companies have verified loads on the web. Websites such as reloadersnest.com, requires a little more caution with some of the loads listed. As much as I hate to say it, the paper manuals are slowly fading away, IMO.

I never said that there was anything wrong with any of the manuals (although it has happened more than once). My suggestion of these manuals is because of the invaluable general reloading procedure information in each book.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I never said that there was anything wrong with any of the manuals (although it has happened more than once). My suggestion of these manuals is because of the invaluable general reloading procedure information in each book.

I see, my mistake........what did you find wrong in the manuals?

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't find the mistakes, but I have read articles on it. They are printed material that is supposed to be proof-read, but if the proof-reader is unfamiliar with the subject then mistakes can slip through. This is true of any book. It just makes sense for a subject as potentially harmful as reloading to have back ups for your data.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have found a discrepancy in load data between two manuals. It was a 9mm load with HS-6 I believe. One manual the minimum load was above the max load of the other. I checked with some people who I trusted who used that same bullet and powder in the same gun I was before proceeding.

My understanding is powder burn rates / load data can change over the years, or due to new testing capability they might increase or decrease loads.

For that reason, I *never* start at the max load. EVER. Most people will recommend this also. Start towards the minimum and work up. If you do end up close to max; repeat your work up (or at least part of it) if you change anything. Different gun, barrel, primers, bullet, brass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom