brass question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought some used brass today, fairly clean but I wanted to kill some time in the garage. Sized and deprimed, cleaning them with some vinegar, hot water etc (no tumbler yet) and being a bit bored I was cleaning the primer pockets with the tool that came with the loader. Noticed two pieces of brass had weird looking pockets, like the deprimer pin had to enlarge the hole to push the primer out. Checked the inside of the brass and it looks like it is sleeved about a third of the bottom.
Sooooooo, what's the deal with this brass?

Head markings....."ammo load 9mm luger"

DNO

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Different head stamps I'm sure. Different manufacturers have different standards for primer pockets and the primer hole. The reason I have never seen this is because I never mess with the primer pocket. The die pushes the old primer out, and a new one goes in. I seriously believe cleaning a primer pocket is unnecessary. Some of the precision bench rest shooters claim to see some advantage, but they are so anal with consistency its unbelievable.

In a 9mm Pistol, or any other pistol round, I've never seen a reason to waste time on the primer pocket. In fact, I don't do any prep on rifle round PP's either.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember this situation coming up before regarding the ledge inside some 9mm brass. I dont remember what the conclusion was, but i dont think there was a safety issue involved, just a different manufacturing technique or blank used to make the case.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Different head stamps I'm sure. Different manufacturers have different standards for primer pockets and the primer hole. The reason I have never seen this is because I never mess with the primer pocket. The die pushes the old primer out, and a new one goes in. I seriously believe cleaning a primer pocket is unnecessary. Some of the precision bench rest shooters claim to see some advantage, but they are so anal with consistency its unbelievable.

In a 9mm Pistol, or any other pistol round, I've never seen a reason to waste time on the primer pocket. In fact, I don't do any prep on rifle round PP's either.

On rifle rounds I have noticed that uniformering primer pockets aid significantly in lowering ES. A byproduct of the uniforming process is a clean pocket. On a pistol round...your wasting your time!

Latest posts

Top Bottom