Brief Raven Concealment Systems Phantom Review - 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I own a phantom holster for the 1911 and another for a Glock 19/X300 combo, the first I've had for almost two years and the second for a little over one year.

When I initially purchased the first holster I also bought the kydex overhooks and IWB soft loops. They both concealed well setup as IWB holsters but neither one was comfortable for me; the G19/X300 setup much less so. I have a fairly stocky body, I know other folks who have had luck running Raven's holsters as IWB so your mileage may vary.

To be perfectly honest I have gotten a metric butt-load of wear time with the G19/X300 in an OWB setup. I use this while traveling at night of which I do quite a bit. The phantom holsters absolutely excel as OWB holster because it spreads out the signature of the firearm. The downside of this is the size of the holster. To say that the phantom covers a lot of realestate on your body is a polite way of putting it. When I wear my dickies I literally have trouble getting into the right hip pocket.

The other thing a lot of folks have griped about with the RCS stuff is it's durability. I have a lot of wear on this holster to date both concealed carry and working at the shooting range. The only issue I have had is a couple of broken belt loops. To be fair RCS is now making the belt loops out of thicker kydex and they also offered to replace the belt loops of all my RCS holsters with the new type. I have not yet taken them up on this offer. Keep in mind that the RCS phantom is meant to be a superb concealment holster. It's not a duty holster, it's not a holster to practice gun retention with, etc. 'The mission drive the gear train' as it were.

Concerning the MTAC:
I bought this holster due to a perceived need for a tuckable holster to wear at a wedding. As these things are bound to happen I didn't quite get it in time for the event. I have only had this holster a few weeks but I can say that it is without a doubt one of the most comfortable holsters that I have. I'm currently torn between wearing it and my Milt Sparks SS-II.

As far as IWB carry goes I would take the MTAC over the RCS any day of the week for concealability. For comfort there is no comparison, the MTAC gets the nod there as well.

Ek

oranjooose

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I own a phantom holster for the 1911 and another for a Glock 19/X300 combo, the first I've had for almost two years and the second for a little over one year.

When I initially purchased the first holster I also bought the kydex overhooks and IWB soft loops. They both concealed well setup as IWB holsters but neither one was comfortable for me; the G19/X300 setup much less so. I have a fairly stocky body, I know other folks who have had luck running Raven's holsters as IWB so your mileage may vary.

To be perfectly honest I have gotten a metric butt-load of wear time with the G19/X300 in an OWB setup. I use this while traveling at night of which I do quite a bit. The phantom holsters absolutely excel as OWB holster because it spreads out the signature of the firearm. The downside of this is the size of the holster. To say that the phantom covers a lot of realestate on your body is a polite way of putting it. When I wear my dickies I literally have trouble getting into the right hip pocket.

The other thing a lot of folks have griped about with the RCS stuff is it's durability. I have a lot of wear on this holster to date both concealed carry and working at the shooting range. The only issue I have had is a couple of broken belt loops. To be fair RCS is now making the belt loops out of thicker kydex and they also offered to replace the belt loops of all my RCS holsters with the new type. I have not yet taken them up on this offer. Keep in mind that the RCS phantom is meant to be a superb concealment holster. It's not a duty holster, it's not a holster to practice gun retention with, etc. 'The mission drive the gear train' as it were.

Concerning the MTAC:
I bought this holster due to a perceived need for a tuckable holster to wear at a wedding. As these things are bound to happen I didn't quite get it in time for the event. I have only had this holster a few weeks but I can say that it is without a doubt one of the most comfortable holsters that I have. I'm currently torn between wearing it and my Milt Sparks SS-II.

As far as IWB carry goes I would take the MTAC over the RCS any day of the week for concealability. For comfort there is no comparison, the MTAC gets the nod there as well.

Ek

Thank you for taking the time to post that. Pretty much cleared up everything i was wondering about. thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom