Building a AR15 rifle? - Who makes the best parts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoArmy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m considering on building 5.56mm AR15 rifle. 16” barrel, flat top, quad rail, tactical stock, flip up front and rear sites…. With all the right stuff.

Thus this questions: What brand/model components would you build your rifle from?

Which lower? Upper? Bolt assembly? Grip? Charging handle- all the best parts

And why would be handy to know also.

Thanks for the input.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m considering on building 5.56mm AR15 rifle. 16” barrel, flat top, quad rail, tactical stock, flip up front and rear sites…. With all the right stuff.

Thus this questions: What brand/model components would you build your rifle from?

Which lower? Upper? Bolt assembly? Grip? Charging handle- all the best parts

And why would be handy to know also.

Thanks for the input.

What do you plan on doing with the rifle?

How will you shoot it (moving, stationary, closer ranges for practical matches, medium ranges, longer ranges, hunting, etc...)?

You worried about weight? Looking to SBR? Wanting to add a suppressor later?

The "best parts" will differ by application some (and the "best parts" are argued by most people who know anything about ARs on the Internet), so you're not going to get a simple answer.

Search this section (rifles/shotguns general discussion) and you'll find the answers to most of your questions.

Oh and what do you mean by "build" it? If you're looking to assemble all of the parts, then you've got quite a few options, but if you want a complete upper and then a lower, you're a little more limited as to what you can do for the same money.

GoArmy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
EZB- thanks for the questions.

No can on the front. Weight, don't need a heavy barrel.
Range short to about 250 meters.
And for the lower... a complete lower would be a good start.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are a couple of good AR forums. You kind of have to read between the lines because some of the folks on these forrms (IMO) are more into AR's for "bad" looks as opposed to function. That being said, there are some good peolpe that post there with a wealth of infromation. I prefer m4carbine.

http://www.ar15.com/

http://www.m4carbine.net/

This is pretty good advice. There are a lot of opinions there, both good and bad. Once you learn to spot the fanboys, you can get some good info there. I don't do m4carbine (no particular reason, just don't) but spend a lot of time reading on arfcom.

There are a ton of picture threads there. Looking thru them can show you a lot of what can be done. It would be hard to imagine a configuration that someone over there hasn't built.

Take what you see there with a grain of salt. The current bandwagons all the arfcommers are jumping on is Bravo Company and Spike's Tactical. I don't have experience with parts from either, but a lot of the arguments for them seem pretty sound.

ETA: Not everything declared to be junk there is junk, just as not everything deemed a "must have" is either.