Building strength for bow hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhenry2424

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone out there know the best way for a female to build up the strength for bow hunting.

I would like to bow hunt with my husband this year since my rifle time is usually limited to only 1 weekend for the season, but I do not have any upper strength at all.
Can anyone recommend anything I can do to build up the strength to pull back a bow?

Thanks,

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone out there know the best way for a female to build up the strength for bow hunting.

I would like to bow hunt with my husband this year since my rifle time is usually limited to only 1 weekend for the season, but I do not have any upper strength at all.
Can anyone recommend anything I can do to build up the strength to pull back a bow?

Thanks,

they actually make a bow exerciser for just such a thing, just google it . also, the min. weight for a legal bow is only 40lbs. and with the min. let off of 50% it shouldn't be to bad.There have been a ton of deer killed with 40lb. bows so don't let the draw weight fool you or any one else.

lisaloo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
okay.....this is gonna sound goofy but try working out with a sledgehammer. I've never had any upper body strength to speak of and I managed my first pull-up EVER:faint: after doing this workout for about a month.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
get a size specific bow taylored to you... besides draw weight, draw length and overall weight is very important.

just so happens I've got a super light Mathews bow with cut down carbon arrows for speed. originally purchased for my son .. he really never took to bow hunting.

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_mathews.JPG

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_mathews2.JPG

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_mathews3.JPG

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the easiest way is to start with a lower weight bow that you can pull and gradually increase the poundage as you get stronger. You will be pulling legal weight in a few weeks pretty easy, or at least that has been my experience with most new shooters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom