Building strength for bow hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterdeere

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the easiest way is to start with a lower weight bow that you can pull and gradually increase the poundage as you get stronger. You will be pulling legal weight in a few weeks pretty easy, or at least that has been my experience with most new shooters.

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally think the best way to build muscles for shooting is a bow is....shooting a bow. Just start off real light and work your way up as you strengthen the muscles you use.

Try a Chaos One NI by PSE which can be had in a 40lb model. You should be able to get that down to around 30 lbs to start and tuned to just over 40 when you can.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The advice to start light with a bow is very good. I have had some physical problems since last bow season, have backed off my bow from 55 to 50, and really don't have the strength I should have for the 50, but beause my muscle memory knows how it's done, I can still pull it. I would go a little lower, but that's about the bow's lower limit.

As your muscles learn the best way to draw, you will find that what initially seemed near impossible will become easy. Be sure to use a compound bow that offers a high degree of relief once it is drawn. (75-80 % letoff)

Don't be reluctant to get some professional advice from a bow pro at one of the local archery outlets. The guys at H&H are helpful, and King's Pawn at Reno and Sunnylane has some very good folks too. Oklahoma Archery was helpful to me a few years ago when I started shooting a bow.

Enjoy! CB

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The two best things are old fashion push-ups and pull-ups. Arm strength is only one part of shooting...your core and back are just as important. As others have said, start shooting at a lower weight and add a pound or two every week or two. You don't need a lot of weight to kill a deer. I shot my first one when I was 13 with a 40lb PSE and got a complete pass-through. My only other piece of advice would be to stay away from ultra-light arrows. Your bow is never going to shoot faster than sound, and with the lighter draw weight, a heavy arrow with cut-on-contact broadheads will carry enough momentum to shoot through whitetails.

JimmyC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally think the best way to build muscles for shooting is a bow is....shooting a bow. Just start off real light and work your way up as you strengthen the muscles you use.

+1

I agree with this one. The only thing you have to remember is that the legal min shooting draw weight is 40lb and that is plenty enough to kill a deer with a well placed shot. I didn't see anything in the current hunting regs regulating a limitation on the let off, and there are plenty of 75% let off bows out there to help you out.

Just start out with as much as you can comfortably pull back and practice with that weight. Increase it after a few days and increase the weight as able till you get to 40lbs. I wouldn't worry about trying to increase your strength beyond that. You can even increase your weight for a few days and go back down to a lower weight to practice more. You'll be surprised how quickly your strength will increase. Most of pulling the bow back is more about good form and technique than it is about overall strength. So while doing pushups, pullups, rows, or any back exercise may make you stronger it might not necessarily make it easier to draw back your bow. Only practicing with your bow will do that.

Don't forget, your point of aim will change a little when you adjust the draw weight so be sure to adjust your sights accordingly.

Reaction score

I agree that that is a very *good* way, but an even *better* way, to minimize injury chance, and minimize the time it takes to build the strength you want, is to do that, PLUS hit the weight room, and do core building exercises for abs, obliques, and lower back, as well as lat and bi exercises. And as always, rest/sleep, eat well including some protein, etc.

But sure, if you don't have access to a weight room, then get a 40-50 pounder, unscrew 4.5 full turns from tight, and start there, and gradually work your way up. Don't go past the point where it's fairly easy to pull and hold. Just shoot a LOT. If you cannot pull the 40, then go down to a youth bow at 30-35 lb pull.

Latest posts

Top Bottom