Built my own Hog Trap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stymie001

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a spring on the top of the door that keeps it shut. it does not take much to push it open, but once they push their way in, they cannot open the door. The size is 6' x 4' x 4'. I plan to take it down to our property in south texas and use it over spring break then just leave it there and use it every time we go down. I saw many that were nice, just didn't want to fork over the $350+ when I could just build one myself. I will post pic's when I catch a few. I know we have then on our property, because they sure do tear up lots of ground. I just have not been able to stay up all night and wait for them to shoot. So now I just set the trap and come back in the morning.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Did you fence the floor also so they couldn't dig out? I built one like it but my door is at a slant and they would have to lift the door to get out.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built a trap pretty much identical to yours, aside from the floor. I just anchored mine with t-posts so it couldn't be raised up. I never could get them to just push the door open to enter it though. They'd plow the ground outside, but never would go in. I looked up a bunch of trigger mechanisms and came up with a simple one. Put the bait at the back of the trap. A little ways in front of the bait, tie a piece of 12lb fishin line to one side of the trap. Run it across the inside to the other side, then out and along the side of the trap and up to where your door opens. Open the door and tie it to the door. Depending on the strength of your door, you may have to use a heavier line, but 12lb works for mine. The door is held open by the fishing line and when anything goes for the bait, it breaks the line and door closes. This works pretty well for me, it is invisible, and doesn't involve any complicated trip mechanisms, fabrication or welding.

Latest posts

Top Bottom