Burglary last night / Stolen guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Someone broke into the house by breaking out a back window, then yanking a security gate through/out of the wood door frame either late yesterday or early this night. Came home from the GF's house at 1:30 am to get ready to go hunting, and discovered this. First a-hole extreme-anti-gun cop that came out is a whole nuther story in itself, but his supervisor was a top-notch, outstanding pro-gun officer, thankfully. Norris is the last name of the top notch cop.

The burglars must have run out of time or got scared at some point because they didn't take very much, luckily - near as I can tell, only two guns and a watch were taken -- but they left one rifle, one airgun, a Leupold prismatic sight, and other stuff like new in package (with receipts) Christmas gifts, optical equipment, fishing & hunting equip, tools, $1,600 PSE crossbow, 3 bows, electronics, and musical instruments in plain sight. They left generator, air compressor, and such in the garage too. Looks like they had a good 5 minutes to search before leaving but didn't spend too terribly much time.

Anyway, point is (points are):

1. Please be on the lookout for the one of the two stolen guns for which I know the serial number: It's a CZ 75 D Compact PCR 9mm pistol, serial number A669546. They also took a Norinco Hawk 982 12 ga pump shotgun, all black, with a nylon buttstock shell holder. Both fully loaded. If I find the serial number of the Norinco, I'll post it here. Believe it not, they took the CZ out of the holster it was in, took it but left the holster. But they did take the 'tactical' scabbard thing that the Norinco was in (desert tan). Weird. I guess they don't like Gould & Goodrich paddle holsters.

2. Security bars aren't really much security. But they did slow them down a bit.

3. Stay vigilant, and stay armed - I could easily have come home and walked in on them unknowingly, as no signs were evident from looking at the front of the house and front door - as they came and went through the back. Luckily, they were gone.

4. There are SOME real anti-gun a-hole cops in OKC that treat YOU like the suspect and threaten to arrest you when they come out to a call, just because you've armed yourself, even if you let them know in no uncertain terms before they get there that you're armed and exactly what you look like. So be ready for that. Whole nuther story that I can tell later when I calm down.

5. Most importantly, along with #3, lock up ALL guns when you leave the house, including your standard bedside home defense weapons. These are the ones that were stolen. So now I feel guilty and responsible for arming some jackasses - probably methheads - with two nice reliable weapons that they can now use against me and you and everyone else. I'm sorry. I apologize to all here and the general public for my negligence in this regard. I thought that the security bars were pretty decent security, along with the dogs. But they're not. They dogs were just roaming around happily inside as they came in through the back along with the burglar(s) - evidently the criminals did their thing while the dogs just watched them and milled around. Luckily they did not hurt the dogs. Quite oddly, they didn't come through the large doggie door, but broke the window 3 feet away and crawled through that instead, even though they had clearly 'made friends with' the dogs.

6. Make sure you keep all your serial numbers of all guns and other valuables written down somewhere.

I'm afraid they're gonna come back for the three safes that they saw and tried unsuccessfully to break into (one of the three). Don't know if I should spend my time today bolting them down better than they are already, or moving them with contents to another location. Or selling guns in order to buy a bigger heavier safe. Kinda feel violated and jumpy here, of course.

Watch your sixes, kiddos. Hopefully just non-violent methheads who will try to unload the guns at pawn or some such, but ya never know....

P.S. One other possible lesson: Keep a good powerful & charged 'tactical' flashlight in your car. All I had was cheapies in the car. When I realized what had happened in the house, I backed out and stayed in the front yard until police arrived, not knowing if anyone was still inside. Well, I would have liked to be able to penetrate the darkness on the sides of the house without getting within, ya know, shotgun range, from the front yard near the street, but the cheap flashlights retrieved from my vehicle weren't nearly powerful enough.

Another thing - hey burglar - joke's on you, buddy - that Breitling's a fake.

Drgnracin72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
man that sux big time... one of my biggest fears is i will be home with my son when something like this happens... hope you get your stuff back and they find out who the assholes that stole it are.

HKCHEF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have bars on my gun room window and for the life of me can not see them being pulled out with out a truck. How were yours designed and installed? Sorry about your stuff.

Bleedsorange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man that is terrible. I am so sick of people stealing things, there is nothing that bothers me more than a thief.

I am here in MWC as well, if there anything I can do please let me know!

glock girl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Things are getting insane out there, folks. You're not safe anywhere, not even your own home. The economy's not getting better, and people aren't getting less desperate.

A break-in isn't always for the worse, though. After our house got broken into, I started shooting and got a CCL. Also got an alarm on that house and made having an alarm on a new house a priority to the degree of not moving in before it was monitored. A heavier safe isn't a bad idea, but IMO, the safe and the alarm go hand-in-hand. A lighter safe will do the trick if the alarm starts going off as soon as the door's kicked in, letting BG know they've got at best, a few minutes to find goodies.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Luck was on your side. You are at this point more coherent than I would be, because you have already realized that.

About radical improvement of your safe situation, think about it for a few days. It may or may not be a good idea, and mileage varies depending on details.

The alarm suggestion is a good one.

As to the officer who first responded, think about that for a few days too. Obviously he appears to have acted in a manner different from that expected of professional law enforcement officers. Your decision to defer details is a very mature, rational one. If you later choose to share details, I may choose to offer advice (it'll be free and worth at least what it costs you), but right now it's too soon to be planning any decision relating to that part of this.

Personal take here about the whole thing. You have intellectualized the whole thing very nicely, but if I read you right, you are not denying the core of rage that is still there. It appears that you are on the right track to recovering from this incident. Kudos on staying rational.

Oh, about the big flashlight. Having one is a real good idea. Looking for bad guys around your house might not be quite such a good idea. You acted in the proper manner by staying clear.

Sounds almost certainly like a meth driven crime. CB

corwin1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm afraid they're gonna come back for the three safes that they saw and tried unsuccessfully to break into (one of the three). Don't know if I should spend my time today bolting them down better than they are already, or moving them with contents to another location. Or selling guns in order to buy a bigger heavier safe. Kinda feel violated and jumpy here, of course.

Watch your sixes, kiddos. Hopefully just non-violent methheads who will try to unload the guns at pawn or some such, but ya never know....

I know EXACTLY how you feel as someone kicked in our front door yesterday morning. Fortunately the door held thru 2 kicks and I think hearing my wife and I coming to investigate scared them away before their 3rd kick and subsequent entry.

I didn't sleep worth a crap last night. I left the blinds partially up so that if the motion-sensor light was tripped it would hopefully wake me. Every time I heard any noise I was wide awake and looking around the bedroom and on several occasions I got out of bed and "cleared" the house and watched the front door. I think I'll be better as some time passes and especially after I reinforce the deadbolt, door hinges and door jams with steel plates.

That last part I quoted is the most important thing for me right now. I've always been paranoid about this happening but deep down I did not think it would ever happen to me. I now want to emphasize to everyone that this can happen at anytime, to anyone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom