Buy a custom or build a custom.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I buy?

• Buy a Milspec or similar and have it customized

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Buy a already custom Wilson Combat/ Nighthawk

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Something completely different(explain below)

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

jmkeeler7676

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I am looking into another 1911. Would I be better off buying a springer mil-spec and having it all dolled up or getting something like a Wilson Combat or Nighthawk . I think the amount of money is going to be about the same, but what do you think will give me the best bang for my buck?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well to me a one off custom has appeal, because unless you model it off someone else's, it's a creation unique to your personal tastes.

The downside to that is if you get bored with it, you may have a hell of a time finding someone who values it's uniqueness as much as you do. Then an off the bench Wilson or equivalent may have more resale value.

So it's really a matter of what you want, and how long you plan to keep it.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Depends on your experience and ability to build a custom. I built one, a first for me, and it turned out very good in my opinion. However, could it have been better? I'm sure it could if someone with more skill had built it.
One thing I can say is that it didn't cost me a custom price. You can build a custom pistol with custom parts from Brownells in a good price range.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Premium parts alone can run 12-1500 for a build, not counting finish, labor, or machining.

So unless you plan on an entry level nighthawk or wilson (under 2k)
The better deal is a true custom build. You will get better parts and a true customized, hand built gun if you comission a build.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I am looking into another 1911. Would I be better off buying a springer mil-spec and having it all dolled up or getting something like a Wilson Combat or Nighthawk . I think the amount of money is going to be about the same, but what do you think will give me the best bang for my buck?

Entirely depends on what you want on your 1911.

What would your custom build look like? Only knowing that will you be able to determine which would be the best route.

For me, after I added up everything I wanted, I realized that for me, a used semi custom was the most economical for me, but your build list will be different.

Once you know what you want the end result to look like, you will be able to determine the best path to achieve it.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Les Baer, or even Wilson all build very high quality semi-custom guns. You can get them slightly modified to meet your specific needs/desires.
If you buy a MilSpec and have a quality gunsmith build it into your dream gun you will probably spend a lot more but have a one of a kind pistol.
Resale value will be higher on the named semi-customs unless you have a really well known gunsmith doing the build.

Operator45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother bought 2 rifles from wilson, and they are the cleanest, most precise machines I've shot in a while. (coming from the military, its easy to notice the difference) It's definitely worth the extra money to buy custom and have something great.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You will be happier with a true custom build BUT honestly..... I'd look around for a used Wilson or Nighthawk. Buy one of those, shoot the crap out of it for a year and decide what features you want on a build. You WILL most likely change your mind after putting a number of rounds down range. You can sell it a year later and get your money back if you buy it at the right price and then have a gun built.

This coming from someone that has owned more than a few semi customs and has a full house custom and another one on the way. :twocents:

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Why would you buy a complete gun to build a gun?

You can get a frame/slide from a number of makers and start with a much better base than a milspec or GI for similar money. I say if you want a real one off 1911 get a reputable smith and tell him what you want and what it will be used for. The two of you will be able to sort out what will make you happy. Then wait for him to finish.

Just my opinion

Latest posts

Top Bottom