Buy a custom or build a custom.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I buy?

• Buy a Milspec or similar and have it customized

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Buy a already custom Wilson Combat/ Nighthawk

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Something completely different(explain below)

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

Lucky13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It all really depends on what exact features and mods you want done.

If you get a wilson or night hawk. In my opinion it's not really custom. There are many many other people with that exact same gun from the same company. And the difference is this you can get done exactly what you want to it (if you get a base gun) and it might cost the same but you won't notice as much cause it will be over time.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you get a wilson or night hawk. In my opinion it's not really custom. There are many many other people with that exact same gun from the same company. And the difference is this you can get done exactly what you want to it (if you get a base gun) and it might cost the same but you won't notice as much cause it will be over time.

Wilson and Nighthawk are custom in the manner that they use tool steel parts, NO MIM, and have more handfitting relative to production guns such as a Kimber, Colt, S&W etc.

Also to clarify, Wilson and Nighthawk are really good about adding any features you want. In fact you can call them up and customize any gun you order to your liking.

However, in contrast, you won't get the attention to detail you will get from having a known smith build you a gun.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned two true one off customs built by the late John Nowln in Claremore Oklahoma and they were works of art. I do believe his son John Jr. is now running the company.

http://www.nowlinguns.com/merchant2/

FWIW, Jr is no longer running the company. I believe Momma Nowlin is still running the parts side. As far as building guns I have NO idea who is building guns for them. I couldn't get a straight answer as to who was building guns after Terry Boehler left them.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I am looking into another 1911. Would I be better off buying a springer mil-spec and having it all dolled up or getting something like a Wilson Combat or Nighthawk . I think the amount of money is going to be about the same, but what do you think will give me the best bang for my buck?

You cannot buy a custom...by definition a "custom" is something you have modified to meet your specific needs/requirments.

Latest posts

Top Bottom