Buying a Hot Tub advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to deliver Hot Springs spas and set them up. I have seen many others that we were hauling to the landfill as well when we replaced their tubs. Hot Springs is probably the best tub on the market without going into some absurd prices. The operating costs will be much lower with the full insulation. The composite wood on the outside will not rot, and the shell is some sort of plastic material not fiberglass. I don't recall exactly what it is made of.

The down sides to Hot Springs are. Initial cost is a bit higher than some competitors. The composite wood won't rot but it will fade in sunlight and possibly fall off. It's an easy fix to just liquid nails the thing back on and use some very small finish nails to keep it in place while the glue sets. The shell is very tough but the full insulation keeps heat in very well and if left exposed without the cover on in the summer the heat can build up and warp the shell causing bubbling. Usually not catastrophic but very unsightly. If you keep the cover on it's not a problem. Who uses a hot tub in the middle of a hot summer day anyway. The bubbling is not really an issue with the pearl colored shell but rather the dark blue and dark green colors. The full insulation is a hassle to dig out when you do have a leak one day. The shell is tough but will probably have a leak at some point if you use it it's full life. There will be added time to dig it out if you have a spa tech do it and that will be a bit more money as well. I have done all these repairs myself and none of them are terribly hard but the right tools and a bit of experience go a long way, especially in leak detection. I would hire a pro for any repairs on a Hot Springs.

One other thing to look for is the leveling of the spa, and where you will put it. A concrete slab leveled with thin masonite shims every 8" or so is the best place to land a spa. You can dig out places for concrete blocks level those and set it out in the yard but that can settle quite a bit with the water in it. If you buy a 1000 gal. spa there will be an extra 8000 lbs. of water in it. If not leveled properly it can definitely cause a shell to crack. Hot Springs or otherwise.

Just some of the stuff I ran into in the year I was in spa delivery and set up. Chlorine is the best way to keep a spa super clean. The othes work but good ol' chlorine is the most effectve. I didn't care for the bromine or ozone stuff. You have to use the chlorine powder not the tablets. Tablets can cause discoloration of the shell if left in direct contact for very long. Keep the filters clean too. They get dirtier than you think, quicker than you think.

If you want a tub you will use for years to come and get the most out of it in terms of durability and life span, Hot Springs is one of the best. If you're not sure if you're even going to have the tub in few years or you might be moving and not taking it with you, then another cheaper brand will suite you fine. Hope this helps. Good luck.

As a disclaimer it has been about 7 years since I had my mits on a Hot Springs tub. I see them at the fair every year and they look the same, but maybe something changed. I don't think so, but maybe.

peppersac

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a chemical free one from Country Leisure 12 years ago and it's been great. Uses an ozone bulb system instead of chlorine etc to keep the water clean.

I have one from them also. They come with a lifetime warrenty and not checking chemicals every week is awesome. I can leave for a month and come back with clean clear water. Also when the world starts to end and people start eating each other I have a way to purify water when I head for the hills!

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Must be something going around cuz i've been researching them as well. I stopped into Family Leisure last weekend.. very friendly and informative... I will check out the other places as well.

*Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Forum Runner*

Latest posts

Top Bottom