Buying with a CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanwk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you buy a gun at a gun shop and you have a CCW permit, do you still have a background check done by the shop?
Is the sale as anonymous as a "private sale"?
Thanks

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Florida is also like that. I believe when they first implemented the CCW in Oklahoma it worked like that, but they had to change that part of the SDA for some reason.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I left Oklahoma in 1998, you could use your CCW in lieu of a background check.

When I returned to Oklahoma in 2005, you could not.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when the CCW first came out in Oklahoma, it could be used in lieu of the background check/LEO sign off.

As I recall, in the early days of the CCW, there were several that were issued to retired or former police officers who had domestic abuse charges on their record. Rather than revoke the few CCWs in question and clear up the problem, the powers that be decided to make it where they could not be used for purchasing a firearm.

Dave

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
when the CCW first came out in Oklahoma, it could be used in lieu of the background check/LEO sign off.

As I recall, in the early days of the CCW, there were several that were issued to retired or former police officers who had domestic abuse charges on their record. Rather than revoke the few CCWs in question and clear up the problem, the powers that be decided to make it where they could not be used for purchasing a firearm.

Dave

Ratski, who is your source on this story? The Clinton Crime Bill made alot of Police Officers seek other work due to not being able to own a firearm because of misdemeanor domestic abuse convictions. They were made to be treated like a felony and are retroactive as far back as the records were kept. I know a former LEO in Nevada who got caught up in this. To this day, he can't own a firearm.

One of the reasons was OSBI stopped using FBI database to check criminal history. When the FBI stopped receiving monies, and when all background checks were conducted in Oklahoma by OSBI, then we no longer could use our CCW permits in lieu of background check after filing out form 4473.

Latest posts

Top Bottom