1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Calling all 10/22 Geeks...

Discussion in 'Rimfire Weapons' started by JD8, Jun 2, 2019.

1. JD8

JD8 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    So I sold just about every .22 I had during the Obama administration. I still have a few .22 pistols but no rifles. Deciding on whether to buy or build two different set ups, a target and a breakdown. Quick question, on the trigger groups, is there a significant amount of difference between the Vort, Timney, etc? What about the receivers? Brownells? Tac Solutions? I liked the Tac Sol Xring breakdown version but it's ~$900. Seems you'll spend that anyways if you build something similar though.

2. GlockPride

GlockPride Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    The Brownell receiver is less. For a reason. I went that route in February for a build with a Gemtech integral suppressor. The thing is rough, I had to modify it by cutting part of the internal rail that the bolt rides on because it was too long. Once I got the bolt in, it would not come out. I had to cut and file part of it. Even aftermath polishing it and the bolt, it is showing some internal ware even after only about 100 rounds. It does have the rear cleaning hole which is nice. I’ll say if you’re handy and want to spend some time by saving money, go Brownell. If you’re a no non-sense, I don’t want to fool with it and take my money guy, buy a more expensive one. BTW the only two Ruger parts on this build are the bolt and the firing pin. I may get a different bolt in the future.

For the trigger, I picked up a Hornet off of Ebay for about $130-140, don’t fully remember. It was one of the more budget ones that included a tacsol release lever too. They also have a trade-in program where they credit you $ if you send in an old Ruger 10/22 trigger pack. I didn’t since it was a new build. Probably about a 2.5 lb trigger. Not the crispest, but very nice and serviceable.

I have three 10/22 so far. The next one I want is a TD Charger with the SB TD Charger stock with SBA3 brace. Slap a suppressor on it and it’d make a dandy backpack rifle/survival rifle.

3. JD8

JD8 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    You're the second person I've seen that had fitting issues with those. Would like this to be a straightforward process so they are probably out. What Gemtech are you using? I have an older Oasis but don't care for the lack of serviceability.

4. foghorn918

foghorn918 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    JD8 likes this.
  5. GlockPride

GlockPride Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I’ve got the Mist. Straight forward no bs, yes, then do another mfg. I wasted probably 3-4 hours fitting, taking apart, reassembling, filing, polishing, etc. and I’m still not sure I’m going to keep it or use it.

JD8 likes this.
  6. docohm

docohm Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I built a Brownells BRN 10/22 last year, used the receiver with the rail on top. SHAW bull barrel, Ruger BX trigger, stock Ruger bolt and other parts, put it all in an Promag Archangel stock. Shoots nice, under 1 MOA if I do my part and feed it CCI Minimags which it likes the best. I didn't have to do any filing or anything, just put it all together and go shoot.

7. JD8

JD8 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Just looked up some of their stuff, looks like might take this route for one build and a tac solutions for the other.

Well I had to look this up...... Military Arms Channel did a build like this and it has me thinking.

8. Oxbow

Oxbow Marksman

Rating
    100%
    Brimestone does some outstanding trigger work. They have three tiers to send in your factory trigger. The highest dollar one is I believe 130.00 and better trigger IMO than a volquartsen that are 240.00. Also check out PMACA chassis...they are really nice.

9. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I built a "tactical" .22rf using a 10-22 receiver/barrel and a Nordic stock as a loaner at steel challenge matches. The BX trigger at 3lb is a really great improvement. If you need the old stock trigger group, let me know via PM.

10. magna19

magna19 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%