Can any military guys help me identify some patches?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Firstly I’ll apologize for my idiocy on this topic since I’m not military savvy, I hope I explain correctly… I need help identifying these. Going through some of my late grandfathers things on my dads side and came across some patches. He was in the Navy and stationed in Japan in the early 1950’s. Found these patches but I’m not sure if they’re all his or if they are from another family member since I had some great uncles on my grandmothers side that were in WWII in various branches of the military. The box I was going through had a ton of pictures from his time in Japan and his ID cards but I didn’t see anything in the box that would have showed these patches were someone else’s other than my grandfathers uncle that was honorably discharged in 1924 (found his discharge papers) but they look more like USAAF than Navy, but I think his uncle was Army - I don’t really know, I should have looked at the papers closer. Thanks for any knowledge y’all can give me. I tried googling but couldn’t come up with anything. I have some patches from my other grandfather on my moms side that I will be asking about when I can find and take a picture of them also.
2F192D54-58E8-42AD-8825-72E0658E0F3C.jpeg

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s the other patch from my other grandfather on my mothers side. He was US Army. Stationed in Korea but after the Korean War. Can anyone shed some light on this? View attachment 266695
1st Cav Div, 5th Cav Regiment. Mort Battery though, not sure. Maybe Mortar Battery? Have no Idea what Wayne is for. In any case, Its not a official patch worn on a uniform

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The big Korean patch is probably a combo patch someone in the unit drew up for a local Korean embroidery shop to reproduce.
That kind of stuff is still very common in Korea. I've seen this type of combo patches on silk jackets, pillows, silk shirts, and silk bathrobes.
1650234246291.png

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep...those are USN squadron patches. VU-3 should refer to Navy Utility Squadron 3.
Yea I was USN. I didn't stay but one enlightenment. Long story. Seen all I needed to. 83-86. Finished active reserve with Arkansas air national guard 188th tactical fighter group. Had to re take the asvab to qualify to transfer. USN ratting was ASM. Air force was AGE.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Although I am no help identifying these patches, I must say, what a find! If those old patches could talk, huh? Definitely historic! You sir have/had some kick ass men in your family lineage. True patriots and warriors indeed! Thank you for sharing. :patriot:

yeah, I did have some pretty badass guys in my family. Had one great uncle serve in the pacific during WWII - He was USMC. I heard he was a badass.

then his brother was in France during WWII and captured a Nazi flag and I actually have ownership of it. Always gives me a weird vibe though when I get it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom