All you Sailors, can you help identify this patch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe that's gonna be a Petty Officer 2nd Class (E-5/PO2. My niece held that rank just before her first enlistment was up year or so ago. She's now a PO first class (Boatswain) which gives her a little more rank.

Here she is during her first enlistment as a PO3.

View attachment 369570

View attachment 369569
Now that’s a real Sailor right there! Huge respect for her.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now that’s a real Sailor right there! Huge respect for her.

Yeah, I'm very proud of her. She decided to join simply because her older sister and brother stayed here in this one horse town and got caught up in drugs and booze and she wanted more out of her life. I can't brag on her enough. She is stationed in San Diego aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln.

20190302_010441.jpg

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up some of my grandfather's Navy items after he recently passed away. I know that this is a Petty Officer Second Class patch, but I'm having difficulty identifying the symbol on the patch underneath the eagle. Can anyone tell me which what this rating symbol means? None of my research is pulling up anything, so I can only assume it has long since been discontinued. I've searched from modern symbols to a list of rating symbols I found discontinued in 1962 with no success. This would have come from the early 50's.

View attachment 369568

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

"The rating insignia is a figure-eight knot."

Screenshot_20230421_003400_Chrome.jpg

https://intrepid.emuseum.com/objects/17720/apprentice-petty-officer-first-class-rating-badge

Last edited:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up some of my grandfather's Navy items after he recently passed away. I know that this is a Petty Officer Second Class patch, but I'm having difficulty identifying the symbol on the patch underneath the eagle. Can anyone tell me which what this rating symbol means? None of my research is pulling up anything, so I can only assume it has long since been discontinued. I've searched from modern symbols to a list of rating symbols I found discontinued in 1962 with no success. This would have come from the early 50's.

View attachment 369568

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

You may also find this thread interesting.

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/fo...-rating-badges-for-apprentice-petty-officers/

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All I know is that if you look in the webster's dictionary under squid, it says it's the lowest form of MARINE life. Sorry, I could not let this opportunity pass.lol
Actually, the lowest form of Sea life would be a pollywog. Seeing as you don’t know that I can tell you’ve never been a deep sea sailing. You dirty landlubber 🤣

Latest posts

Top Bottom