Can any one explain streaming devices like amazon Fire or roku

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used a couple of Roku for several years, and watch almost anything I want to watch.
I put up an antenna for local news and weather. Watch it about 50% of the time.
Saved a ton on Dish!

You don't need a HD antenna for HD tv. That's like saying you can only drink beer from a mug.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I called them and got my bill lowered for the next 12 months price matched, I'm gonna keep doing some research over the next year and see what I want. I'm hoping in the next year google fiber moves in and I can snag that and drop cox completely.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe try Atlink. Its what I use and there is no max data usage and its plenty fast. I dont know where you are in Ponca City but this map may help.
http://atlinkservices.com/coverage-map/

Thanks for the heads up. We are actually in Osage county. Their map misses us, but I'll keep the link for future reference.
Sounds like they keep adding areas, so they may get to us eventually.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. We are actually in Osage county. Their map misses us, but I'll keep the link for future reference.
Sounds like they keep adding areas, so they may get to us eventually.

If you are high up on a hill, it might be able to go farther.
They will make a site survey without any cost if you want to try.

I am up on a hill, so I went quite a ways out of the map.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

It is also possible to build your own if you and a couple neighbors buy in on it and each have line of sight to each other and/or a central location and can also get line of sight to a location with internet available. With the right equipment and placement you can get internet many miles from town.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

We are on a hill, but surrounded by dense woods. We had wireless internet for several years, but it was so slow we couldn't watch video's. The trees block the majority of signal especially in summer. When the leaves fell in the winter it wasn't near as slow, which is why we went with exede. I hate being on a metered service. Anything line of sight won't work.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are on a hill, but surrounded by dense woods. We had wireless internet for several years, but it was so slow we couldn't watch video's. The trees block the majority of signal especially in summer. When the leaves fell in the winter it wasn't near as slow, which is why we went with exede. I hate being on a metered service. Anything line of sight won't work.

Start watching for someone who has an old communication tower, old ham or CB guy who has gotten out of the hobby and buy the tower for a song. Then set it up, get above the trees and have fast unmetered internet. :woohoo1:

BTW anyone who wants to do a project like this let me know, I will be more than happy to help out. I have setup links building to building over a couple miles with off the shelf stuff that cost about 150 for the whole project. For that matter I read about an island community where they were unable to get decent service as the telco didn't want to invest in a better connection. They would be out of service for days and even then it was barely better than dialup. They banded together to form a coop and built their own network.

Latest posts

Top Bottom