Can any one explain streaming devices like amazon Fire or roku

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got 2 FireTV sticks and a 1st Gen FireTV box. I haven't ever paid attention to how much bandwidth they use, and we don't use them for streaming very much. Mostly used to access my NAS. But I will say, I won't recommend the FireTV stick. I'd get the box, especially now with the 2nd Gen out. The stick to me doesn't seem to want to 'wake' very well... annoys me, but I will admit I've only had it running a week. My box seems much more stable. Wish I'd just gotten a new box and relegated my old one to one of the other TVs.

Hmm. I was thinking of putting the box in the LR on the main TV and running the sticks on the ones in the bedrooms. Might have to see if a store has one running as a demo to check it out.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can do a wireless bridge to use your pc on a tv with one of the steam links if I remember correctly. They are supposed to be decent but you will see some lag compared to being hooked in directly so you may not like the experience.

Koolhandlinc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We don't use Cable TV or another other service. Have 2 antennas in the attic with a booster. Have cable for internet. We stream and play a game or 2. Also have the dual band wifi. We have a laptop 2 ipads, 2 cp and a desk top pc. We are using a Amazon Fire box. Had a Hulu given to us and it stopped working after just a few weeks. So we stream shows. I work shift work and so being able to set with my wife and watch shows together occasionally is good. On the Amazon fire we use Netflix, Hulu, BBC, and youtube. We also pay for Amazon Prime. Never looked at the amount of data. We are paying 46dollars a month tax and all costs included in that amount. So we can surf. The kids watch shows etc. The only thing I miss is watching college football. I can't get ESPN.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got one of those Amazon Firesticks with Kodi...wow, once I learn how to really use this gizmo; it's gonna be Bye-Bye Cox Cable! My son-in-law hooked me up; he says with this Firestick/Kodi thing and a cheap antenna for local stations, I am good to go. We can even get the latest movies on this thing for free; we watched "The Revenant" on it last night. Free sports, live stuff, movies, TV, etc. I can't wait to dump Cox and be done with that almost $130 per month bill for ...not much. Imma go watch a free movie right now as a matter of fact!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got one of those Amazon Firesticks with Kodi...wow, once I learn how to really use this gizmo; it's gonna be Bye-Bye Cox Cable! My son-in-law hooked me up; he says with this Firestick/Kodi thing and a cheap antenna for local stations, I am good to go. We can even get the latest movies on this thing for free; we watched "The Revenant" on it last night. Free sports, live stuff, movies, TV, etc. I can't wait to dump Cox and be done with that almost $130 per month bill for ...not much. Imma go watch a free movie right now as a matter of fact!

I just put Kodi on my Mac to check it out. It takes awhile to get the learning curve down, but I'm going to find a build out there yet. I'm running SpinzTV on it right now. Kodi is something else, like Ace said earlier, you can find ANYTHING you want to watch.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love me some Kodi....

I'll tell ya, those using the FireTV Stick or box for significant streaming, I just ran into major buffering issues and had to change my cache size, which completely solved it. I used adbFire for this. Worked perfect and no more buffering issues.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love me some Kodi....

I'll tell ya, those using the FireTV Stick or box for significant streaming, I just ran into major buffering issues and had to change my cache size, which completely solved it. I used adbFire for this. Worked perfect and no more buffering issues.

What are you saying, you "jailbroke" your Fire device to change the buffer size?

Go easy, I'm extremely android illiterate, I'm an Apple freak. lol

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What repositories and must have addons are there for Kodi (UFC and MLB stuff is a plus)? Used moviehut so far, have icefilms, and a few others, but havent added a bunch yet, nor adbfire yet. Adbfire makes it easier to launch Kodi, etc correct? I should prob look at cache size, since in the living room it buffers and errors out a lot, works in all the other rooms great.

gregb21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both the Firebox and firestick, both with kodi installed. We cancelled ATT uverse about a year ago, has saved me about 200 a month. I installed an HD antenna in the attic for local channels and the fire box when we want to watch show that we cannot get over the air or missed a show on the big 3 broadcasters.
Having using kodi for about a year, I would spend the money and get a Firebox. It has more memory and processing size and you can wired it up direct using an Ethernet cable instead of using wifi like the firestick. It is a different way of watching tv, but I like the savings and have more money to play with.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both the Firebox and firestick, both with kodi installed. We cancelled ATT uverse about a year ago, has saved me about 200 a month. I installed an HD antenna in the attic for local channels and the fire box when we want to watch show that we cannot get over the air or missed a show on the big 3 broadcasters.
Having using kodi for about a year, I would spend the money and get a Firebox. It has more memory and processing size and you can wired it up direct using an Ethernet cable instead of using wifi like the firestick. It is a different way of watching tv, but I like the savings and have more money to play with.

I agree. The box is a better processor for sure, and I have a Gen 1. Gen 2 is bound to be lots better.

adbFire is a PC program for sidleoading apps onto Kodi. I don't really use it much anymore, now that you can install Kodi direct through ES File Explorer. Also use this to install FireStarter. Makes it a lot easier to start Kodi.

Using adbFire on your PC, input the IP address of your FireBox or FireStick, hit connect. Then you can change the values of the cache. This fixed my buffering issues instantly. I set my cache to 128 megs.

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

I set mode to 1 (to buffer all sources) and cache size to 134217728 (128MB) and read factor to 10. Instant fix for me.

<edit> Wish I could help with app choices... all I use is NBA Full Games add-on thus far. Have others installed, like Movie4k.to and such, but haven't really played with any of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom