Can any one explain streaming devices like amazon Fire or roku

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Start watching for someone who has an old communication tower, old ham or CB guy who has gotten out of the hobby and buy the tower for a song. Then set it up, get above the trees and have fast unmetered internet. :woohoo1:

BTW anyone who wants to do a project like this let me know, I will be more than happy to help out. I have setup links building to building over a couple miles with off the shelf stuff that cost about 150 for the whole project. For that matter I read about an island community where they were unable to get decent service as the telco didn't want to invest in a better connection. They would be out of service for days and even then it was barely better than dialup. They banded together to form a coop and built their own network.

We don't have neighbors either. Nearest one is 1 1/2 miles away, and around the hill. We are out in the sticks pretty much. The trees are huge. Some walnuts are 100' high.
It does sound like an interesting project to try though. We have a contract with exede for now that is another pesky issue.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We don't have neighbors either. Nearest one is 1 1/2 miles away, and around the hill. We are out in the sticks pretty much. The trees are huge. Some walnuts are 100' high.
It does sound like an interesting project to try though. We have a contract with exede for now that is another pesky issue.

1.5 miles line of sight is nothing for shooting a WiFi connection, and if they have crappy service or dial up you guys could band together and set something up together. 100 feet is pretty up there so you would need a stable tower but once you are above the trees you would also have a point where likely quite a few others would be able to have line of sight as well or you could get internet through one of the local WISP's.

If you could get access with a local WISP then negotiate that they can use the tower as a repeater if they provide you with free internet. They get to expand their coverage for a minimal cost if they do and worst thing they can do is say no. If later on they come in and want to do as you suggested just make sure that you get free internet and they pay you each month as well.

Not to mention that if you have a 100 foot tower you could use it for anything else you wanted as well, zip line above the trees to the neighbor's place or to the bug out vehicle?:bolt:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1.5 miles line of sight is nothing for shooting a WiFi connection, and if they have crappy service or dial up you guys could band together and set something up together. 100 feet is pretty up there so you would need a stable tower but once you are above the trees you would also have a point where likely quite a few others would be able to have line of sight as well or you could get internet through one of the local WISP's.

If you could get access with a local WISP then negotiate that they can use the tower as a repeater if they provide you with free internet. They get to expand their coverage for a minimal cost if they do and worst thing they can do is say no. If later on they come in and want to do as you suggested just make sure that you get free internet and they pay you each month as well.

Not to mention that if you have a 100 foot tower you could use it for anything else you wanted as well, zip line above the trees to the neighbor's place or to the bug out vehicle?:bolt:
HAHA! The tower we have is about 60'. Way below the trees. When we get out of this contract, I'll give a call.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a cell tower near? My signal comes from a repeater on the local cell tower that is 1 mile. NW of me. I dont know how to go about using someones cell tower but it can be done apparently.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a cell tower near? My signal comes from a repeater on the local cell tower that is 1 mile. NW of me. I dont know how to go about using someones cell tower but it can be done apparently.

We have a cell tower about a mile north. I get 3 bars of LTE signal on my phone, but I can't see it through the trees.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis can I piggyback this thread?

I'm fixing to cancel or drop to the most basic cable Cox has. I currently have their top tier record 6 Contour whole house HD DVR. About the only good thing I can say about it is that it does hold a crap ton of programming. I can't even get half the interactive stuff to show up (multi views, etc.), they don't have the ability to rewind live TV unless you pause it first, and that only works half the time and even when it does it'll crash out, and you'll miss wherever you were to current live. I didn't have any of these issues with Uverse.

So how much data will two to three HD streams eat up? I get 350 gig per month. Will that fly? I'm looking at the new AppleTV and/or Amazon Fire and purchasing a subscription to USATV, it runs $20 a month and gets all the live stuff I want. FNC channel included. :hyper:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got 2 FireTV sticks and a 1st Gen FireTV box. I haven't ever paid attention to how much bandwidth they use, and we don't use them for streaming very much. Mostly used to access my NAS. But I will say, I won't recommend the FireTV stick. I'd get the box, especially now with the 2nd Gen out. The stick to me doesn't seem to want to 'wake' very well... annoys me, but I will admit I've only had it running a week. My box seems much more stable. Wish I'd just gotten a new box and relegated my old one to one of the other TVs.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think it does, but I'd like to know for sure: does the Fire Stick accept input from a wireless mouse and keyboard? I was envisioning using my 55" TV for gaming via my PC, but the latter is set up in another room and I'd like to avoid having to move them together for a direct connection. If the Fire Stick could be used as a wireless bridge between TV and PC, that would be great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom