Can any one explain streaming devices like amazon Fire or roku

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as Hulu vs Hulu plus there is some difference in content. The plus gets you more for longer timeframes. I think plus gets new episodes the day after air on shows that are available and standard has to wait a week or two. But if you already have another streaming service like amazon prime or netflix it's probably not going to feel worth it.

@tRidiot I actually enjoy the Plex interface. I am sure it has went through a few changes and they are trying to make everything unified across all the apps and webUI.

The other thing I like is the ability to watch the "channels" which include a lot of the local content directly through Plex. I could use a tablet by going to say ABC's website and stream but the plex does all the work for me. One of the other things that I think are great with Plex is the ability to stream pretty much anywhere I can get an internet connection with minimal setup. While I have been building out my own FreeNAS I have a little brother to it at my father's place that is being setup for him. He has Plex as well and if he gets something new I can watch it the same as he can watch something from me. This is all with only forwarding one port to the application Jail IP so minimal exposure to the net, plus Plex has a SSL agreement so it's actually fairly well secured.

For anyone who has not tried it out and is too lazy to go look it up I took a couple screenshots of the WebUI. Click on a section and you can use multiple filters. It downloads media information for your shows like actors, release date, the posters, backgrounds, etc. It's your own media and you can also use it for personal pictures, home video's, music or anything else media related. I keep some audio books on there so I can listen if I am in the mood.

plexmain.jpgplexchannels.jpgplex movies.jpgplex cars.jpg

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And for someone who wants to really watch a movie with say Halle Berry... You can filter by actor as well.

plex halle.jpg

If you have kids in the home you can also assign them a user account and limit their access by rating as well as library. Don't want the kids to watch anything beyond PG, it will do that automatically. Wife hates Horror or thriller movies, she won't see them in her listings.

plex users.jpg

I know the LG smart TV app is now Free without a plexpass and I believe the one for the PS3 and Xbox just went free. Android app is 5.00 and I would guess that the one for iPhones is around the same but they are included with a plexpass which adds the feature to fine tune user access as well.

And anyone who wants something like this and feels like setup is too much for them I am more than happy to help them out. It will work on a windows computer as well as some other devices. I am fully in love with the FreeNAS system and ZFS raid along with it's ability to handle things but it works a lot of other places.

If you want to see mine in action sometime I can probably arrange a demonstration at some point as well.

For that matter go to plex.tv setup an account and PM me the information and you can watch a movie or couple shows on me, LOL.

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, I'm glad you mentioned that... now that I remember it, the reason I left PLEX was because it didn't feature multi-channel passthrough on the FireTV. At that time. I didn't want to be stuck with 2-channel stereo when I had media with 5.1.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, I'm glad you mentioned that... now that I remember it, the reason I left PLEX was because it didn't feature multi-channel passthrough on the FireTV. At that time. I didn't want to be stuck with 2-channel stereo when I had media with 5.1.

Ahh, I can understand that. I have no clue what they have worked on in that area but most of the time if the hardware supports it they seem to be able to pass it on through. It could also be one of the deals where one of the settings needs to be changed for the audio to pass through correctly.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one Amazon Firestick with Kodi and it have 2016 movies on the thing. We don't watch the R rated movies because we can't stand the profanity. (I like the movies they used to make sans cursing). I had an old Amazon FireTV and today I put Kodi on it except I don't have the movies. I need to download Repo and it gets old doing all the downloading -plus it's time consuming but overall, it's well worth the time and money even with the irritants.
You can buy a unit on EBay for less than $40 fully loaded if you don't want to put all the effort of loading it yourself, plug it into your HDMI on the rea of your TV and off you go! But you have to have Internet/wifi service!

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today I loaded countless movies, documentaries etc on the FireTV box. I don't have enough time to watch them all but I did find a lot of Westerns that I've never seen or forgotten about that I can watch again. This is a real problem! I read on Facebook that Genesis is on the way out due to the developer moving on but there are plenty of other recent movie apps like Phoenix etc.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So how much data will two to three HD streams eat up? I get 350 gig per month. Will that fly? I'm looking at the new AppleTV and/or Amazon Fire and purchasing a subscription to USATV, it runs $20 a month and gets all the live stuff I want. FNC channel included. :hyper:

past 30 days:
roku3 117.3GB
ps3 95.9GB

Latest posts

Top Bottom