Can any one explain streaming devices like amazon Fire or roku

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregb21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
tR, is it pretty easy to change settings? Some days it buffers quite a bit and other days it never does.

As for as apps. I use 1 channel for movies and TV shows, ice films, sports devil of course for sports. I don't pay for any UFC fights. There is a ton of content, you just have to spend a little bit of time in the beginning to see what works for you. One good thing, most of the apps have a favorites section so you don't have to search for a show or movie all the time.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
tR, is it pretty easy to change settings?

Takes about 10 seconds once you download adbFire and find your box/stick's IP address.

Literally, when you open adbFire, you put in the IP, tell it to connect, it'll say it's connected. You hit the button that says "Cache" and put in those settings.

Can't guarantee it'll work for you, but it's a very common issue and it fixed mine instantly.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What repositories and must have addons are there for Kodi (UFC and MLB stuff is a plus)? Used moviehut so far, have icefilms, and a few others, but havent added a bunch yet, nor adbfire yet. Adbfire makes it easier to launch Kodi, etc correct? I should prob look at cache size, since in the living room it buffers and errors out a lot, works in all the other rooms great.

Genesis and 1channel are my go to. Genesis has stuff out in theaters right now. Sportsdevil for sports but it's very hit and miss on streams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are there options for watching live, non-OTA tv, like the Walking Dead?

Yes!

USATV is one of them, I've not looked into the others yet but there are some. They're not free though, USATV costs about $20 a month. It has several of the cable news channels and other cable stuff. You need an antenna for locals. I'll pay $20 vs $100+

Edit: I just reread your post. non-OTA stuff? Ha! It's all on Kodi man. EVERYTHING! And it's free, it's the live streaming TV that has a small cost.

gregb21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there options for watching live, non-OTA tv, like the Walking Dead?

Not that I have found, but there are many apps to choose from and I don't have time to go through all of them. I watch TWD but I don't have to watch it right when it comes out. I usually watch it a day or two later. Now I have watched live tv, fox news, abc etc.., but it might be a live feed from NYC, that's why I have a antenna for local broadcast and use the box for the shows I that I would normally watch on cable.

tR, thanks for the info. I think I will give it a try.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread, but:
The Kodi stuff sounds like a really bad idea, to me. As in - illegal - in my opinion.
It's not worth it to me. I do not want to get a cease-and-desist letter, ...or worse.

...SO...
How about the people that prefer to stay on the more 'legitimate' side of TV watching?

I cut cable 10 years ago. I don't miss it.
I recommend an OTA antenna, and a Roku box. Link (connects to Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu plus - among others channels.)
Recently Amazon allows al-la cart subscriptions (Showtime, Starz, Comedy Central, HBO, Ring-Tv, etc): Link
So you can watch your subscriptions via Roku-->Amazon--> then clink into your channel.
(I think we're doing Starz currently, but may also go for HBO soon)

Also, if your computer and TV have HDMI (and they're near each other), just get the right cable and plug the TV into the computer. Hulu (via the computer) is free. Hulu-plus (via the Roku) is not. The content between the two is the same, ...I think.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why I would buy a Roku to go through Amazon, I don't know.

Amazon's hardware is much better, and the one time I tried a Roku box, I did not like the format and found no benefit over my Amazon FireTV. Just my opinion.

I also used to do the HDMI into my TV, but that became a PITA... Windows doesn't allow you to run 2 different audio sources at once, so I had to use an adapter to split the signal if I ran it analog, or constantly switch sources back and forth if I was carrying the audio over the HDMI. I like my setup now with the Amazon FireTV. I use Kodi mostly to access my home NAS which I've got a ton of content on, from movies to TV shows. I tried PLEX and didn't like the interface. The FireTV will do it, but also the interface sucked. So sideloading Kodi was the answer and has been great. I've now got Kodi installed on...

1 FireTV box
2 FireTV sticks
1 22" TV/tablet mounted in my kitchen
1 personal tablet for watching my movies and shows anywhere in the house or outside having a drink or smoking some ribs.

Can't be beat, IMO. The streaming stuff from online is just icing to me, and the only thing I really watch is NBA games I forgot to set to record on my DVR. Don't care for the quality of alot of the streaming stuff.... 65" HD TV shows poor quality pretty obviously.

Latest posts

Top Bottom