Can anyone advise, bolt gun versus pump.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was looking for information or experience between the accuracy differences in bolt guns versus a pump action. I have a .270 that is older than I am, it was the first rifle I ever went deer hunting with. But it is a pump action Remmington, and all my other rifles that I have owned have been bolt. Both types are closed breech actions. I plan to take the old Gibson's scope off of it and replace with something more modern. I want to be able to take 2 to 3 hundred yard shots. I have never taken this rifle out to do any long range stuff(long to me anyway). The only downside to this rifle is it kicks like a mule. My .308 didnt kick as hard as this one. Any comments welcome.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got an old Remington 760 pump that I got in a trade a few years ago. Mounted an extra scope I had laying around to check accuracy before selling. Long story short it is damn accurate, tried some hornady custom load in 150 gr and it shoots 1 moa average, usually slightly less (3shot groups). Needless to say I kept it and have taken a couple deer with it. It's the 18" carbine model, handy as hell for still hunting and accurate enough for 300yd shots fo sho. Ive got a friend that had one in 30-60 and he had similiar results. YMMV

madbrad

Marksman
Reaction score
bolt guns tend to be more accurate, I think thats because a semi auto has to have looser tolorances do to it must move without binding up to reload and a bolt gun can be tighter because its toally manual in operation

MadMonkey

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've also had some experience with the Remington 760 in 270. The pump action 270 is very accurate. The bolt may be slightly more accurate but over 200 or 300 yards it shouldn't be significant. They are very comparable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom