Can I use my FN Five seveN for concealed carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jefpainthorse said:
I can think of at least 3 other calibers I'd rather carry for self defense... and .380 is not in those 3 (for those who thought it was on the list).

I can see those high speed 22's ending up way down the street, leaving a ice pick hole in a bad guy....

Read a little of the linked thread... my opinion stands... but I stand corrected.about terminal performance.. 5.7 seems to have poor penetration. Sounds like a poor choice to me....

Have you ever seen a varmint round hit a coyote? Poor penetration is the direct result of a massive energy dump. What's the saying, a pistol is to fight your way to a rifle, not when your pistol shoots a rifle round...

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be more concerned than anything about the over penetration of the 5.7 round. But I fully admit I am ignorant about the gun and the caliber to be honest, I just know it is a really, really hot load. Anyone have any insight in this area???

They don't really penetrate far at all with most loadings. I'd definitely shoot a pig with a variety to see what loads are suitable for carrying.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you ever seen a varmint round hit a coyote? Poor penetration is the direct result of a massive energy dump. What's the saying, a pistol is to fight your way to a rifle, not when your pistol shoots a rifle round...

Have you seen a man hit with a .357 or .45 ACP?
Spare me the "fight my way back to my rifle" crap.

Self defense shooting is not infantry or spec ops....
You need a mindset check...and humans are not coyotes or prairie dogs.

11 inches penetration and lots of cavitation stops people.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be fair, the military SS190 rounds are excellent penetrators, designed to punch through helmets and armor, etc. not so great with expansion, but when you're buzzsawing someone with a P90, not so big a concern. The civvie rounds they will sell you these days are pretty much varmint rounds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom