Car problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
P0420, Catalyst Efficiency Bank 1. This is an exhaust emissions code that basically is saying the Bank 1 catalytic converter is not cleaning the exhaust to emissions standards. It doesn't mean it's clogged but possible, a gutted or non functioning converter would generate this code, clogged converters usually don't generate this code. This is a self diagnosing code, basically it takes a good working oxygen sensor and catalyst monitor (downstream or rear oxygen sensor) to generate this code, both sensors have to be working and when their signals would start mirroring each other that indicates the catalyst is failing. This code almost always is the result of a failed catalyst. The biggest reason for a failed catalyst other than age is from overheating, which is usually the result of excessive fueling ( ignition misfires or other rich fuel condition).

Bank 1 on the 3.6L is the rear or RH bank. This vehicle has 4 oxygen sensors, 2 of them are also known as Catalyst Monitors or the Downstream sensors, these are located behind or after the catalytic converter. The catalyst monitor is the sensor that triggers P0420 bank 1 & P0430 bank 2.
Is this something I can fix myself? I can do many car repairs but I’m no expert.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Is this something I can fix myself? I can do many car repairs but I’m no expert.
Some are bolted in, some are welded solid to your exhaust system. This is a common problem on Jeep wranglers, they have 4 cats, two on each side. It has only two O2 sensors oddly though, so the second of cats are not monitored whatsoever. All four are welded in and so it's a cut and weld job, or buy the whole new apparatus for $300-$900 depended on where you buy. Not sure how your Buick is set up.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are bolted directly to the exhaust manifold, so you would need to work from underneath the vehicle. If it's an AWD it starts getting difficult because the transfer case would need to be removed, otherwise there is a sub frame brace/cross member and the exhaust pipe/y-pipe that needs to be removed. I don't know your level of experience but FWD is not too difficult, AWD models are fairly difficult. If the exhaust is rusty or corroded then the difficulty goes up if you have to deal with broken nuts/bolts.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I have a car like that 180,000 miles and code or engine light comes on I do as you and research it.
I also monitor the MPG and see how it drives..If it gets the same MPG I do not worry about it.
My 1995 corolla emission code came up and this was at 150,000 or so miles.
I checked many things and decided it still gets 33.5 MPG so told the wife keep driving it and I put a smiley face sticker over the light.

Eventually the light burned out and the sticker fell off, still gets low 30's MPG and has 322,000 miles on it.
It sees full throttle every time I drive it.
Oil changes at 3000 miles trans fluid changes at 6000 miles and antifreeze at 50,000 miles, timing belts at 90,000.
Car washed under the hood and undercarriage every oil change.
We check MPG on every fill up on our cars.

Monitor it and drive it.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are bolted directly to the exhaust manifold, so you would need to work from underneath the vehicle. If it's an AWD it starts getting difficult because the transfer case would need to be removed, otherwise there is a sub frame brace/cross member and the exhaust pipe/y-pipe that needs to be removed. I don't know your level of experience but FWD is not too difficult, AWD models are fairly difficult. If the exhaust is rusty or corroded then the difficulty goes up if you have to deal with broken nuts/bolts.
I actually saw a video on YouTube and I can change it myself. Mine is FWD. My only issue is if I change that cat and the other one is bad. I don’t see any videos changing the other one. I can say this, it seems to drive the same but I don’t drive it very often. I did however smell an exhaust smell at the front of the vehicle that I have never smelt before. And when it idles it seems to idle up and down. Do you think I should have my mechanic look at it or do you think I should just order the new cat and change it myself? I told him what the code was and he said it could be numerous different things. A bad cat being one.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I actually saw a video on YouTube and I can change it myself. Mine is FWD. My only issue is if I change that cat and the other one is bad. I don’t see any videos changing the other one. I can say this, it seems to drive the same but I don’t drive it very often. I did however smell an exhaust smell at the front of the vehicle that I have never smelt before. And when it idles it seems to idle up and down. Do you think I should have my mechanic look at it or do you think I should just order the new cat and change it myself? I told him what the code was and he said it could be numerous different things. A bad cat being one.

If you have a plugged cat, you should notice a performance difference, especially at higher rpms with quick acceleration. It should feel doggy and often times they will cause a misfire even. O2 sensors don't cost much in comparison.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The biggest concern is, what if anything might have caused the failure, they do go bad with age but excessive fuel is a major killer. If the engine is running rich, or misfiring this can cause the failure, though you will usually have codes pertaining to those concerns too. With the year and mileage of the vehicle it could simply be degraded enough to set the P0420 code. If the other side fails, you will get a P0430 code.

Back before OBII, without analyzing a vehicles exhaust emissions (smog check), there was no way to know if the catalytic converter has failed on efficiency. OBDII does this now by comparing sensor values before and after the catalyst. This is not the same failure as being clogged or restricted, which would cause a noticeable reduction of power. Modern vehicles can still get clogged converters but most of the time they fail is with catalyst efficiency, they can flow fine, just not cleaning the exhaust up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom