Career Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As some of you may remember reading, I'm currently working on my pilot certificates and ratings. However, the Norman PD is hiring right now and I'm considering applying. My reasons are that I turn 30 this year, and to build the required experience in order to get hired by an airline, I can expect to flight instruct for the next 2-3 years while living on pittance. Even if I got hired by an airline, my first 2-3 years I'd still be making around 22-25K, on top of having to move to one of the airline's hub cities or commuting. I enjoy flying, but the thought of not making a decent salary until I'm 35 is pretty disenchanting. My wife and I don't have kids yet, but we'd both like them, but I can't honestly have a child making 22-25K per year.

Norman PD starts at around $40K and goes up a little each year. I wouldn't be joining for the money, but it obviously is a factor. That's about twice what I make right now. I like the city of Norman and would enjoy serving the community like that. My wife would like me to stick out aviation, but she's not the one seeing our finances each month :)

I know this is something I have to make a decision on, but it's always helpful to seek advice.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you think it is something you would like to do, put in for it and make the decision for sure once they offer you a spot. No need to worry to much about it until they offer the job.

You should have stayed in air traffic!!! :smack:

Being happy is what is most important, I have been luck enough to move jobs several times chasing the big money, but also enjoyed the job each time and it has worked out well for me, landing me a government job making really good money.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
22-25K for a few years for a potential 6 figure job, or 40K with raises that will never make as much as a commercial pilot in the long run. Do you want money now? Or are you willing to wait for a better payout? Try taking money out of the equation and see what you and the misses think.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go ahead and apply.
You'll have time to think about this while you're in the hiring process.
Being hired is not a sure thing.

So go for it and see where it takes you.
Nothing says you can't continue to follow your pilot dream as a cop.

cw821

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say do what you enjoy. You'll figure out a way to make more money from it that you expect. You may be able to get some private piloting going for local companies too. Sounds like your wife supports it too, ---> also more happiness at home.

ahamay6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a professional pilot I understand what you are going through. There were many times I considered giving it up and Changing careers all together, but its one of those things that just gets in your blood. Have you considered OHP? In a few years you would have the opportunity to fly fixed wing for them and have the best of both worlds. Plus, you'd get to come home every night! A plus you will soon appreciate once you and your wife decide to have children. On the other hand, you are probably coming up through this at the right time. I think this country is about to see a pilot crisis in the next 5-7 years, making guys like you and I very valuable in the near future. If you love it, it is something you may want to hang on to. Like I said, it gets in your blood. Good Luck to you!

Latest posts

Top Bottom