Career Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started down the professional pilot route myself, and I got out of it. Besides the low pay starting out (and if you think it'll only be five years or so, you're kidding yourself) and the stress of constant travel, strange schedules, etc. there's also the market uncertainty. Aviation is a terribly cyclical business in the best of times, and frankly, these are not the best of times. As ahamay6 said, flying gets in your blood; I understand that, and there's an airplane-shaped hole in my heart right now because I haven't been behind the stick in almost five years. Maybe this summer I'll get to do something about it, but--as for myself, at least--I sure wouldn't want to be banking on a career in aviation right now. The market is just too perilous in my view.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say go for Norman Pd.....The airline industry isn't too reliable these days. You can always join the Civil Air Patrol and fly for them. When I worked as a police officer at Tulsa International Airport, I had several pilots ask about law enforcement. Most of the pilots that spoke with me were pilots of regional jets and they said it is difficult to get in and fly the bigger planes. As in it took a long time. At least as a police officer, you get a good pension and other perks like a take home car. No more paying for gas.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work with several people that started down the pilot road only to bail because the oppertunity is just not there and the pay and such that you read about is much more inflated that reality. 6 figures as mentioned above is not likely. Having the pilot stuff and the police stuff might open more doors in the future, like the OHP as mentioned, and the customs office.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didnt read all the other posts, but I will give my .02. I love flying myself, but starting as a civilian, it is not an easy road and there are always going to be military types coming available with more hours than you can rack up, as well as seasoned commercial pilots going for the same jobs as you. 5 yrs from now, you will be flying puddle jumper commuter flights at best.

So you are not likely to be making good money flying for a long time, unless you like to fly cargo, which you can do and earn money on the side.

If you are wanting to settle down in an area and start a family, the PD seems like the way to go.

xnavychief

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have my private pilots but let my class III medical expire in Hawall because I couldn't afford the rental rates and haven't returned to flying since. If you love flying, you'll hate anything else that you do because there is nothing like it. I personally found it to be quite monotonous and boring outside of taking off and landing. I say do what you love regardless of pay or you'll be miserable in the long run, as many who have chased money can attest. The Airline industry isn't hiring many pilots these days and for most maintaining ratings and certs is a full time job on it's own. As an aircrewman for 21 years in the Navy I flew with many pilots who are much more happy flying tuna(or insert other crazy cargo)out of the pacific rim in taped together C-131's, 118's, 97's or other such rust buckets than they ever were playing the commercial passenger game.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Well, with the things you see and deal with, no one else understands. All people are dirt bags until you figure out otherwise. If you don't already, you will never sit with your back to a door. Your head is on a constant swivel. You are always a cop......If you see something off duty, you will react. You have to let you wife and kids know that if "daddy" has to deal with something, they need to get away. I'm talking about a douche you arrested recognize you in town off duty....Maybe I'm over paranoid....I have a REAL hard time turning of the "switch", if you will, while off duty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom