Carry illegal at church?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaketinaboxer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the law is the law, philosophy has nothing to do with it
get caught carrying where illegal, loose your permit, maybe go to jail

i totaly agree, but if you look at the guys post he makes it sound like he doesn't care if its legal or not, because "who's going to see it anyway" i was just pointing out his retarded logic.

sparkstable

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Under what law or statute do some claim it to be illegal to carry at church? I've had a guard at the OKC jail tell me that it's not legal to carry in any place of public meeting (not just where lots of people are... but an organized meeting) and that church, town hall meetings, etc. would be a no go.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The SDA says nothing about "Crowded places" "gatherings" or church.

My occasional Sunday carry:
ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_IMG_2601_Small.jpg

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the law is the law, philosophy has nothing to do with it
get caught carrying where illegal, loose your permit, maybe go to jail

the list of places that is absolutely forbidden from carry are spelled out in the SDA. all other places are not absolutely forbidden

jaketinaboxer said:
if it's legal then it's cool, but if were going to use that philosophy then why don't we carry everywhere?
some of us do:wink2:
i totaly agree, but if you look at the guys post he makes it sound like he doesn't care if its legal or not, because "who's going to see it anyway" i was just pointing out his retarded logic.

you see it is how you interpret things. to me retarded logic is letting a sign with a beretta and a slash through it tell you that you can not carry your weapon there. it is of course a personal decision that you have to make.

i always say concealed is concealed and if you never have to use it then who will know? and if you do have to, well i think it would be better to break a law than to be dead. but that is just MHO.

the way i have interpreted the law, and so have many others, is that the gun buster sign is a request of the property owner and nothing else.

Under what law or statute do some claim it to be illegal to carry at church? I've had a guard at the OKC jail tell me that it's not legal to carry in any place of public meeting (not just where lots of people are... but an organized meeting) and that church, town hall meetings, etc. would be a no go.

town hall meetings would be a no go because if i understand correctly there are generally elected officials there and they are generally held on city property that is for the purpose of doing business with the public, but just a gathering of people in general would not be.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i always say concealed is concealed and if you never have to use it then who will know? and if you do have to, well i think it would be better to break a law than to be dead. but that is just MHO.

the way i have interpreted the law, and so have many others, is that the gun buster sign is a request of the property owner and nothing else.

he is not asking about the gun buster signs ,he is asking about places the law says are illegal. IE: is church carry illegal see the difference?

Security Six

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI for traveling though, in some states it is illegal to carry in church buildings. How they manage to dictate that I am not sure but I know that some states do state that it is illegal. I know that Arkansas is either in the process of making it illegal or it already is, one of the two.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI for traveling though, in some states it is illegal to carry in church buildings. How they manage to dictate that I am not sure but I know that some states do state that it is illegal. I know that Arkansas is either in the process of making it illegal or it already is, one of the two.

They are trying to make it legal in Arkansas.

I think as it is right now, they think someone will start to believe the teachings and go to the extreme of forking the tree for the first time in decades.

Security Six

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just found this in the Arkansas law, so I guess it is currently illegal in Arkansas. I had not heard that they were trying to make it legal. Good deal if they do.

http://www.asp.state.ar.us/divisions/rs/rs_chl_law.html

< Back
Concealed Handgun Licensing

Pull Down Menu to Select Topic:

Applicable Laws
Where Concealed Handguns are Prohibited:

ACA §5-73-306

No license to carry a concealed handgun issued pursuant to this subchapter authorizes any person to carry a concealed handgun into:
(1) Any police station, sheriff's station, or Department of Arkansas State Police station;
(2) Any Arkansas Highway Police Division of the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department facility;
(3) (A) Any building of the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department or onto grounds adjacent to any building of the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department.
(B) However, subdivision (3)(A) of this section does not apply to a rest area or weigh station of the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department;
(4) Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
(5) Any courthouse;
(6) (A) Any courtroom.
(B) However, nothing in this subchapter precludes a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon into his or her courtroom;
(7) Any polling place;
(8) Any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity;
(9) Any meeting of the General Assembly or a committee of the General Assembly;
(10) Any state office;
(11) Any athletic event not related to firearms;
(12) Any portion of an establishment, except a restaurant as defined in § 3-9-402, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises;
(13) Any portion of an establishment, except a restaurant as defined in § 3-9-402, where beer or light wine is consumed on the premises;
(14) Any school, college, community college, or university campus building or event, unless for the purpose of participating in an authorized firearms-related activity;
(15) Inside the passenger terminal of any airport, except that no person is prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the passenger terminal if the firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking the firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft;
(16) Any church or other place of worship;
(17) Any place where the carrying of a firearm is prohibited by federal law;
(18) Any place where a parade or demonstration requiring a permit is being held, and the licensee is a participant in the parade or demonstration; or
(19) (A) Any place at the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of the place by placing at each entrance to the place a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that “carrying a handgun is prohibited”.
(B) (i) If the place does not have a roadway entrance, there shall be a written notice placed anywhere upon the premises of the place.
(ii) In addition to the requirement of subdivision (19)(B)(i) of this section, there shall be at least one (1) written notice posted within every three (3) acres of a place with no roadway entrance.
(C) A written notice as described in subdivision (19)(A) of this section is not required for a private home.
(D) Any licensee entering a private home shall notify the occupant that the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun.

sparkstable

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like i've seen a couple posts lately that people have said something about church. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't carrying in a place of worship or gathering illegal?

so... the verdict is that it IS NOT ILLEGAL to carry in a church... correct?

I thought it legal when I read the SDA... but when the prison guard downtown said otherwise... well, I figured he'd ought to know. And apparently, other people make the same claim.

... God I'm glad this forum is around!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom